Best Part of Christmas

December 26, 2010

For me, one of the best parts of Christmas is watching people unwrap the gift you picked out for them. I love seeing their reactions – and inside I always say a quick prayer that it’s not a, “What on earth – oh she’s looking at me – ‘Thanks so much, I love it!’ “reaction.

I spend hours (and I mean hours) online looking for the perfect gift. I can’t go to malls to do shopping – bless those of you that can but to me that’s like going into the pits of hell to find a needle in a, well, burning haystack.

I go through Facebook statuses to see what that person talked about over the past few months. I think back to conversations, things I’ve seen in their home, things they’ve mentioned they wished they had. And then when I find it, inevitably it comes in 24 different colors/patterns. Which means more contemplating.

We had a Christmas budget this year, but we went over. Like every year. Both Sam and I get into thinking about what everyone would want – I show him my computer screen about 50 times a night saying, “This one? This one? That one? Um, no. How about…”

And we don’t always find the “perfect” one – it’s hard sometimes to pinpoint what someone might want or like, but we try to think in that case, “Well, what would we like as a woman/man/adult/parent?”

Christmas, to me, is a time when your gift says, “Hey, I thought about you. I knew a little something about you and tried to put that into this present.” And yes, even a gift card  can totally say that.

I can’t wait till Bella really *gets* Christmas. Even though she seemed to enjoy it. And enjoy pointing at things.

Hoping you all had a wonderful holiday (and secretly hating everyone that got snow).

• Jane

December 30, 2010 at 3:28 pm

That’s my favorite part of Christmas, too. Well, that and all the insanity of the family. 🙂 “Found” you through a friend . . .*cough*

• Kris Pearson

December 29, 2010 at 4:24 am

No hating here, SoCal does NOT have snow! But we are going to the snow, does that count?! Ha ha! I love watching people open gifts much better than receiving them! 🙂

• Alexia

December 28, 2010 at 9:53 am

Totally know what you mean! I’ve been online investigating/shopping for four months to find the absolute perfect gifts! It’s so great to give a person something that they cherish, to me that’s the ultimate gift. Bella certainly seems to be enjoying herself! Merry Christmas!

December 27, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Sometimes the perfect gift is no gift at all. Honestly, I would rather not get a gift at all, than to open something that they picked up from the clearance aisle real quick on their way out of the store. I absolutely love to watch people open gifts that I spent a lot of time picking out for them. I’m the crazy nutter that will go to 5 different stores until I find the RIGHT thing. I should definitely go the online route next year though.

• kim

December 27, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I do the same w/ gifts — and the internet makes getting ‘that’ gift so much more fun!! Unfortunately, 3, yes, 3 of my perfect gifts did not arrive this year. 3!! So I, like, Bella, did a lot of pointing to pictures I had printed, saying, ‘See? This is what you’re supposed to have.’ Merry Christmas!!

• Tiffany

December 27, 2010 at 11:25 am

Hope you had a fabulous Christmas, I always deal with the same issues for gift buying! I’m a new follower & can’t wait to read more; hopefully you’ll stop by my blog soon! 🙂 http://thenilsensnest.blogspot.com/

• Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life

December 27, 2010 at 10:21 am

• Tweets that mention Best Part of Christmas: For me, one of the best parts of Christmas is watching people unwrap the gift you picked… — Topsy.com

December 26, 2010 at 9:59 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Diana, Diana. Diana said: Best Part of Christmas: For me, one of the best parts of Christmas is watching people unwrap the gift you picked… http://bit.ly/eMk05e […]