We decided. And who we won’t be hiring.

January 31, 2011

I sent off an email to our sitter candidate. In it I thanked her for her time, told her how much we liked her, etc.

And then I said we would be looking for in home care instead. For flexibility issues.

That is true. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that having her only available two days a week (she works the other 3 weekdays) and with 2 other children meant that I had no emergency or last minute care when Sam is gone. I need that.

But mostly it was because I couldn’t get past the fact that her brother (who I might never meet) would be in the house whenever Bella was there. I need to be comfortable with who we pick, and I wasn’t with that aspect.

I feel a little bad, because I’ve been on the receiving end of my own email before. But it’s over and done – and I’m not expecting to have her write back.

And for those of you that asked – no, I didn’t mention I read her blog. We ended up deciding that, had we hired her, we would have included a privacy clause saying she wasn’t allowed to post info/photos on FB/blog/public forums of Bella or us.

Now I move on to other candidates. A few of whom I really like a lot. And then one who listed all her qualities and attention to detail, only to end the email with “I’d be thrilled to watch your son!”

Great! When he’s born, we’ll let you know!

Then another who’s email address began with “Redhairdownthar@”

:/ On that note, we’ll start the screening process with what your email address is. And go from there.

• Ask me anything |

February 11, 2011 at 10:25 am

[…] If you don’t want to be you asking it, then be someone else. I don’t care. Be “RedHairDownThar” or something. […]

• branson

February 1, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Oh my goodness… I can’t believe some of the email addresses I have seen on resumes. People are clueless sometimes…

• Jess@Straight Talk

February 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm

People are so classy. I used to do the same thing when looking at law school applications. Seriously. Grow up. Use a “job application only” email address. SOMETHING. Gah.

• Lauren

February 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

I’m glad you decided against the sitter you interviewed. I didn’t comment on your post about it, but TOTALLY agree with your concerns. Especially the brother situation.

I really, really hope you find someone you like soon. I laughed so hard at the e-mail address of that one chick…wow!

January 31, 2011 at 11:49 pm

The email address is seriously skanky. Actually, no. It’s like STD skanky. Yeah, I just said that. With that said, I just recently updated my email address since I’ve had the exact same email address since I was 16. Also, I’m glad you went with your gut instinct. And, I’d really like to meet your son because it seems like all you ever talk about is your daughter. And that’s just biased.

• kim

January 31, 2011 at 9:57 pm

What? Having red hair down there and advertizing it isn’t polite?? Darn it . . . I was thisclose to having it all . . . :)I’m changing MY e-mail to ‘curtainsmatchtherug@’ Anyway, I think you made the right decision!! *waves to Martha* I’m on my way over!! *goes to see MY number on comments*

• Summer Davis

January 31, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I’m laughing so hard at the red bush lady. I mean how dense do you really have to be? Ok, fine. You have red pubes. Can’t you make up ANOTHER email address with which to apply for jobs? Insanity.

• Noelle Spooner

January 31, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Yikes!! I wonder what kind of blog redhair has…..

• Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life

January 31, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I think you are making the right decisions for your family! I would not be okay with the brother thing and all. It is good to know you may have some other people 🙂

• Cathy

January 31, 2011 at 6:59 pm

WOW….just wow. Lol

• melissa

January 31, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Bahahahaha!!! Oh man! Not much to say about those…

Good luck!!!!

• TheNextMartha

January 31, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Ok, ok. I get it this isn’t fair. But just gonna make her sweat a little. Hi Kim!

• TheNextMartha

January 31, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Because really Kim seems nice and all. She really does. I mean she even came over to my blog. I don’t have that fancy widget though. She may never return. But she seems super nice. How do you know her?

January 31, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Lol. I logged in and was like SWEET look at all the comments already! :p

I know Kim because she married a guy that used to babysit me and my sister and brother when we were little. And now he’s a big ole’ hot shot lawyer. 🙂 My family and his family are good friends.

And she’ll come back to you. Kim is an amazing commenter.

• TheNextMartha

January 31, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Wait, if I keep commenting, my number goes higher? Um. Ok.

1. Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life

January 31, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Yep it does 🙂 (see this…) 🙂

• TheNextMartha

January 31, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Well I may not be first over there>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    But at least I was first here to comment. Hi Kim!

1. Jen

January 31, 2011 at 11:50 pm

And now, I’d just like to make the top 5. So here I am, shamelessly adding the dumbest comment in the history of this blog. Sorry, Diana. I’m just really hyped up on popcorn and girl scout cookies.

1. Jen

January 31, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Mission accomplished. And that is how I roll.

• TheNextMartha

January 31, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Um. Red hair down there needs to “GetAClue@” I mean really people? I’m glad you’re going with your gut. Oh, and I totally wouldn’t hire a blogger either! I mean what if you ended up with someone like ME! Snort. Good luck.