I knit. I can also blow your head off. That’s just how I roll.

March 17, 2011

With me doing the single parent deal for a while, I thought I’d give you all a glimpse of what keeps me sane, passes the time, and serves as the man of the house. (Minds out of the gutter, I do not have one of those, mmkay? ::shudders::)

Nighttime Drama.

Oh, hai Grey’s Anatomy. How did I not discover you and your sultry ways before? Katherine Heigl just keeps jumping higher on my hottest woman list. And Ellen needs a whole piece of cake. Pronto.

—————

Cheaper than therapy.

These are my night and morning reads. I wake up with the devotional, go to bed reading Al Anon, and in between I catch little bits of TCOYF.

—————

Old Faithful.

Really, not old. Nothing compares to typing my thoughts out onto this keyboard when my head simply can’t process them any longer. And, why yes, that is my blog Facebook page. Thank you for noticing. 🙂

—————

Cup o’ Memories.

When I lived in India several years ago, we had Chai on a regular basis. Only – it was made with water buffalo milk from the man who stopped by each morning with his and milked them on the doorstep. This is very close to what it tasted like (sans water buffalo of course).

—————

Best Friends.

This is how we start each morning after breakfast. I clean up, do laundry, and check emails. Bella toddles off to her room with her kitty Mews to read her books and giggle at the kitty purring and rubbing against her.

—————

Warm Fuzzies.

Can I just say how much I love knitting? Kim from Baby Feet was my guru for learning how (have you seen her new blog?) This one is new – my friend Cathy and I went to our local knitting store and picked up yarn so I could teach her how to knit. Yes. I’ll repeat it again – I taught someone how to knit. And she is darn good at it.

—————

Bad Boy, Bad Boy.

Let me preface this by saying I hate guns. I would be happy if they were banned completely. (I hear those gasps my Conservative friends – lol) But Sam loves them. So when he left, he also left me a locked gun. Just in case. But as much as I hate them, if someone broke in my house – I’d put a bullet between their eyes without even flinching. My baby is in the other room. I’d never think twice.

ETA – it’s locked up. No way Bella could find/open it ever.

—————

My love.

• Katrina

June 8, 2011 at 5:00 pm

How am I just now seeing this post??? I can’t believe I totally missed it. But I love seeing a glimpse into your life (saying that makes me sound creepy stalkerish…I’m not – but I did just like your FB page. Does that negate the “I’m not” statement???)
    I cannot knit. I’m not a huge Grey’s fan (although I do watch it). My weakness is crime shows. Psych, The Mentalist, Flashpoint, Criminal Minds, White Collar…etc! lol…but I do know a bit about guns and babies/toddlers. We have enough guns to start a small gun shop (although most of them are at my FIL’s house since we moved. I have my carry permit and used to actively carry before my daughter was born. Long story but now I carry pepper spray and a neck-knife instead. We still keep handguns around and my children will learn to shoot at a young age (my husband and I both grew up around guns). The most important thing is to remember gun safety and common sense.
    If you ever have questions about gun stuff (especially with kids around the house) you should look up my friend Limatunes on FB – she is a mom, certified gun instructor, and all around sweet and smart gal that can tell you anything you want to know about having guns and curious toddlers in the home.
    I like “Mom Went Crazy’s” response…personal safety in your home has a lot to do with using the resources that are available to you – you’d be amazed at how many things can double as a weapon!!! lol

• Branson

March 21, 2011 at 10:23 am

My love affair with Grey’s was by box set and it was a whirlwind relationship lol. What stinks is when you run out of box sets and have to wait a week between episodes! 😉

• Mom Went Crazy

March 18, 2011 at 7:16 pm

In Canada we don’t even have guns. We axe your ass old school. Knives, hockey sticks, baseball bats. All fair game! lol

March 17, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Oh, friend. You know I heart you. But I’m so super disappointed in you right now. You’re JUST NOW getting onto the Grey’s Anatomy bandwagon?? I have watched every single episode from day 1, and I am in LOOOOOVVVVEEEE with that show!! It’s almost creepy, but I can’t help it.
    Also. I wanted to get a gun to keep locked up for that “just-in-case” moment when a mass murderer tried to attack me. But having a gun locked up in a hard-to-reach spot is not going to do me a lick of good when the mass murderer is on the prowl. So I think I might buy some mace or something more readily accessible. I still want a gun, though. A cute one.

• Lisa

March 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Grey’s is the best, EVAH!!! I love that show!
    I haven’t read any AlAnon stuff in awhile but thinking it’s time to drag it out again. I’ve also done well with some of the great codependancy books. But it was amazing what a change it was when I stopped letting the actions of ‘my addict’ affect my happiness. When I took back the control for how I felt, it made all the difference in the world. Except that it’s different with each addict in our lives. I have a couple and when they begin actively using it really affects me very differently.
    But that last one, that’s the best reason to keep going!!!

• Lauren

March 17, 2011 at 1:50 pm

This is freakin’ awesome. Go you for keeping you & bella extra safe.

• Mom on a Line

March 17, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Glad you have things to do and keep you busy. I love the vision of your daughter toddling to her room with her books and her cat. So sweet!

• Cathy

March 17, 2011 at 11:06 am

I’m so glad you taught me and I feel like a movie star bc mentioned in today’s blog! Yay , lol

• kim

March 17, 2011 at 10:29 am

Thanks for the shout out!! *gets the warm fuzzies* and how awesome are you, teaching somebody already?? I knew you’d be great at knitting! Next to tackle: circular needles! They open up SO many projects!! Think: hats, sweaters, socks, mittens . . .
    The gun . . so? We have an entire safe in our basement for Art’s hunting guns. And I’d use them for protection in the blink of an eye. We don’t play with them, for the love of maude. And we have taught the kids to not touch them, not even a little, from day one. And each one will take hunters safety to make sure they are safe in the future, whether they actually hunt or not. So, unless Bella’s new favorite toy is a glock and the kitties are batting around a few bullets . . . roll on, sista, roll on.

• melissa

March 17, 2011 at 9:20 am

I have a gun and a toddler as well. They don’t bother me. It’s about gun safety and knowing what you’re doing and keeping them out of your child’s range of discovery until they are old enough to learn to respect them. If this baby is a girl I’m gonna learn to knit…I think.:) And BTW how stinkin’ CUTE is Bella with her Mew??? Love that!!!!

• Teresa

March 17, 2011 at 9:16 am

If my husband had to go away for months at a time AND I didn’t live on a quiet private road, you better believe I”d be locked and loaded too! Good for you, chickie!! Great post, great pics and I added your fb page!

• Tammi

March 17, 2011 at 8:47 am

Love this, Diana! My hubby is gone on business right now and I feel a little paranoid about being home with three little ones and nothing to protect us. My 30th birthday wish is to get a gun and lessons… I want to know that my babies will be protected at ALL times! More power to ya! 🙂

• Sarah

March 17, 2011 at 8:26 am

Guns kinda freak me out, but we have one. They only freak me out because I don’t have much experience with them. I need to get more comfortable with ours.

• Dallas

March 17, 2011 at 8:14 am

LOL! Love the title. Guns freak me out too, but as long as they’re locked up…if my DH was gone for an extended period of time, I would probably consider it myself. As it was, he was on nightshift for 3 nights, and I couldn’t sleep…protecting myself with my kids’ popgun…lol My post about that:

India must have been a fantastic experience!

Dallas

• Joanna

March 17, 2011 at 7:54 am

Diana- I adore you BUT- You keep a loaded gun with an exploring toddler????? I can’t think of anything more dangerous.

March 17, 2011 at 7:59 am

It’s locked up. No way Bella could possibly get to it. Believe me. 🙂

• Sol

March 17, 2011 at 7:53 am

I love this look into your day. Great post title!

• Diana

March 17, 2011 at 7:50 am

No – I’m so glad you asked that! Yes, it is locked up and there is no way Bella could find/open it. I’m so paranoid about that.

India was quite the experience. It’s so, so much that I’ve never written about it but just here and there. I get overwhelmed just thinking about where to start for it.

1. themanager

March 18, 2011 at 7:51 am

I was laying in bed last night thinking what an idiot I was to even ask you that. I mean, this is Diana! I don’t know what I was thinking! I recently watched ‘Bowling for Columbine’ and things like that stick with me for awhile.

India! write more about India!!!!!!

• themanager

March 17, 2011 at 7:48 am

I had no idea you lived in India! you are so worldly! also, nights without a man sound SO good right now. but, I know I shouldn’t complain about that to you. and, please don’t hate me but I have to ask, is the loaded gun locked up? please say yes & don’t hate me!