Somebody’s Mama

March 22, 2011

I take Bella to the park and watch her run around the sandbox. Gingerly she walks on the shifting grains, then with a quick look at me to ensure it won’t swallow her up, she runs full force into it.

Next up is the jungle gym. Across the wooden boards to the slide. I panic and run to where I can grab her as she tries to fly headfirst off it, and catch her to giggles that seem to say, “Yay! I almost gave you a heart attack!”

A squirrel catches her attention and she chases it. Calls of, “BITTA BITTA BYE YI YI YI GA BABA” aren’t convincing enough for him to stop so she can grab his tail. Bella sobs as he runs up at tree and gives him the teary look of I thought you and I could be friends.

She pauses to watch a little girl on the swings. I scoop her up and put her in one, only to have her grab my hands and whimper. I slowly rock her back and forth as she holds on, and glance at the woman next to us. Her little girl looks up at her adoringly as she pushes her. I smile as I think of how quickly these times pass.

I glance down at Bella to see the same look, and in that moment something comes over me. I am flooded with memories of watching moms play with their kids at the park. I remember being a nanny and knowing the looks of complete adoration were saved for their parents. I remember wondering how that would feel one day.

And as I stand there, with Bella’s little hands in mine, squeezing so tight and her eyes fixed on my face, I realize I’m there. I’m one of the women on the playground whose child loves them more than anything in the world.

I’m somebody’s mama. It’s the most humbling, overwhelming, sweetest feeling in the world.

• Ya’ara

January 19, 2012 at 10:49 am

Hi. I’m new here, also with a one + year old girl and pregnant
    Reading and hearting each post..

• Branson

March 26, 2011 at 8:06 am

This is so sweet! Made me all weepy 🙂

• Noelle S.

March 24, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Oh so sweet. Love this post. Bella is so adorable!

• Krista

March 23, 2011 at 7:27 am

It is those moments that make all the other ones – the tantrums, the meltdowns – so completely worth it.

• Teresa

March 22, 2011 at 4:50 pm

So precious!! I love being a mom because of that feeling. When they are hurt or happy, the first person they need to share with is ME. 🙂

• Crystal

March 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm

oh so sweet! Those looks that are reserved ONLY for mama are so special…and heartwarming. How have you been doing? I’ve been thinking of you…wanted to make sure you’ve been ok. Adjustment sucks…but it does happen. We are in transition of the “getting ready for daddy to leave” phase…it sucks too. Because no matter what we are doing…it’s there, taunting us. it’s been a rough couple days.

March 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Such sweet words, Bella is very lucky to have you as her mom! She will love reading these sweet tender moments when she is older.

• Alexia

March 22, 2011 at 2:22 pm

You got me tearing up over here! It is the most amazing feeling in the whole world. That little life, that precious little creature that is all yours and needs you to survive. Oh the joy and terror! Loved this post!

March 22, 2011 at 1:37 pm

How sweet!! What an amazing moment. You’re a GREAT mom!!

• Sara

March 22, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Ahh, baby Bella.

Breathe deep, mama! You’re awesome!

• Cole

March 22, 2011 at 12:57 pm

What a sweet post – I can’t wait for the weather to clear up here so WE can go run and play on the playground! So far, it’s been too cold and soggy…

• Lisa

March 22, 2011 at 12:31 pm

It’s wonderful and scary all at the same time. I love those moments with my kids but you’re right it passes so quickly. With my older two I’m passed the adoring looking and into the eye rolls. But hehehe I still have my fun, like this morning when I cranked up the Justin Bieber REALLY loud just as my son opened the door to get out of the car at school LOL I’m pure evil (fyi Biebs is NOT cool for 8 year old boys)

• Mrs. MidAtlantic

March 22, 2011 at 12:26 pm

This is so beautifully written. I love those “mom moments” – they made everything worthwhile. I’m so glad to have shared a little in your most recent moment.

• kim

March 22, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Oh, Diana, this was wonderful. Made me remember feeling that for the first time just like it was yesterday. And totally made me cry. You totally nailed the feeling. Well done.

• melissa

March 22, 2011 at 11:55 am

The best feeling ever, and I love every second of being a mama!

• TheNextMartha

March 22, 2011 at 11:45 am

I love those moments.

• Mom on a Line

March 22, 2011 at 11:01 am

It is the best feeling in all of the world. I hold it close to my heart, hoping I will never forget the wonder of it all.

• themanager

March 22, 2011 at 10:51 am

it’s an amazing feeling. one I wouldn’t trade for anything.

• Lauren

March 22, 2011 at 10:21 am

This brought tears to my eyes. Such a sweet post, & so, so true.