Flannel, Pearls, and Natural Instinct

April 4, 2011

If you’re one of those people who think, “OMG, you shouldn’t talk about people you barely know on your blog! That’s mean” – you should go ahead and click out now. Because I’m going to tell you the truth (without being mean), and it’s a heck of a lot more fun to read than, “Sally was a nice candidate but not for us.”

If you haven’t read today’s earlier post, hop on over and do it before going any further. For those of you caught up, the first sitter candidate, K, arrived this morning. I opened the door – and I just knew. I totally knew she was the one. She was so bubbly and excited, and dressed up all nice. She brought a folder with a stellar resume and references all neatly typed out and explained. She told me how cute our apartment was, how close by we lived, and swooned over Bella. And not the overdone stuff – just the kind where you knew she was a genuinely sweet person.

What sealed it was Bella. She usually falls apart as soon as someone walks in the house – whether she’s seen them before or not. But with K? She climbed right up on her and played with the buttons on her coat, showed her the trucks, took her to her room, brought her books, and followed her all around the place.

I could have hired her on the spot, but I still had my afternoon candidate, A, to go – who I was also eager to meet.

Until I opened the door.

She came in with her flannel and pearls with a look of complete disinterest on her face. The first words out of her mouth were, “Geez, you’re like, really far away from me. It took me a half hour to get here.” It was 2:00 (so not rush hour) and she (according to her profile) lived 5 miles away. I wasn’t sure what to say, so I invited her to sit down.

“Here’s that stuff you wanted,” she said with a sigh, handing me a sheet of paper with references of friends and a co-worker, and 2 forms of photocopied ID. I had only asked for references so I wasn’t sure why she seemed so irritated.

After an uncomfortable silence where she watched Bella read a book, I said, “So tell me about what you’re looking for in a job? What would be your ideal position?”

“Well,” she said in a bored tone, “I’m on leave from my full time job. (Um, so how’s that going to work?) ‘Cuz it’s been robbed 3 times in the past month. (Where on earth do you work?) So that’s all kinds of scary and I’m not going to put up with it, ya know? (Oh, I so do not know) So I’m looking for part time jobs to fill up my week and I got a ton, like 5 of them I’m doing right now. I’m pretty much booked up Monday, Wednesday and Friday. And most of Tuesday. Some of Thursday. (Um.) So basically I could do like a morning or something…” She sat and looked at me as I tried to piece together what she had just said. Because the candidate I had written to 3 days ago? Was free all week. And had assured me that my job (weekday afternoon) was just what she was looking for.

“Ok, so mornings. Like maybe 9-12 or?” I was killing time, there was no way that schedule would ever work.

“Yeah, like 10-12 or so. I’d need to leave around 12 because I have another job and you live so far away.” There it was again. Why didn’t she just call and tell me I was too far when I gave her my address 3 days ago?

I gave her a tour of the house while she remained silent. Once in a while I saw her glance at Bella, but there was no interaction. I chalked it up to nerves until I asked if she had any questions I wasn’t answering.

“Nope, sounds like I just come over and watch the kid. Pretty easy, if I have any questions while I’m here I’ll call you.”

Trying to make an effort and swallow down a small amount of bile, I told her about pet sitting – which had been discussed beforehand. I would pay her $15 a day to come feed the cats and change their litter when we were gone. Was that ok?

“Usually I just charge $5 to go to the homes and give the dog some food and stuff, but since you live so far (oh really?) I’d need to charge you $15.” She stared at me while I contemplated an answer that wouldn’t sound like a smart ass. Not coming up with any, I was quiet.

Finally acknowledging Bella who was being silly and twirling, she said, “She’s really hyper huh?”

Done with the interview, I thanked A for coming and told her we had another candidate to consider but would let her know by tomorrow. She offered a limp hand and was halfway down the stairs as I said goodbye.

I wrote K this evening and offered her the job.

Sometimes you just know instinctively, and sometimes it comes in with flannel and pearls and smacks you in the face. Today was one of those days.

• Miranda

April 6, 2011 at 8:34 pm

THIS IS WHY I DO NOT HAVE A SITTER!!!

• Katrina

April 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm

OMW!!! I’m totally in shock that someone would even act that way at a job interview!!! It IS kind of funny though (since she wasn’t your ONLY option). At least she made the decision really easy! lol

• t.bird

April 5, 2011 at 12:49 pm

when you “know” you know.

i knew when our nanny walked in the door- but i still had to interview 4 other ladies who simply didn’t cut it.

in fact- one came in wearing sweats. sweats?! i know this isn’t a “professional” gig but come ooon.

we quickly ushered her “PINK” backside out the door.

• Jess@Straight Talk

April 5, 2011 at 12:26 pm

How trashy. I mean lovely. Flannel and pearls. I do remember that when you are in college that it’s the law for you to wear pearls, or something. I didn’t. But I’m so glad that you loved K!! That’s great! And I’m even more excited you’ll be getting a much needed break every now and then!

April 5, 2011 at 10:28 am

That’s awesome that you found someone that is so perfectly suited for you and Bella. That other chick sounds like you were already putting her out just by meeting with her. I sincerely hope she’s not watching any other kids.

• Not There Yet

April 5, 2011 at 9:48 am

Congrats on finding someone! Blissful 3 hours of freedom a week!

• D

April 5, 2011 at 9:34 am

Well, the good news is your found someone amazing 🙂

But I’m totally giving the flannel chick the side eye. I mean why even bother?? Mind blowing.

• Lisa

April 5, 2011 at 9:16 am

yikes. i can’t believed she faked interest even through the computer.

• Suz @ Suz’s Treats

April 5, 2011 at 7:18 am

Awesome. So glad K seemed great! I bet she seemed even better after meeting with girl #2!

• kim

April 5, 2011 at 6:51 am

“She’s really hyper, huh?” uhmm, what.are.you.on? That is all.

• melissa

April 5, 2011 at 6:46 am

Well… thank goodness you found a good one out of all of that!

• The Mrs

April 5, 2011 at 4:34 am

Pearls I get. I can see those. Fine.

But FLANNEL? I cannot even envision what this looks like. I mean, obviously I know what flannel looks like. But at a job interview?

Please tell me it was pajama pants. That would be awesome.

• Miranda H.

April 5, 2011 at 2:43 am

WOW…. i don’t think i could have sat through that last interview… i would have just told her to leave at the door.

• Branson

April 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Yay! I am so glad you found someone great!! And, um, yeah… some people are just clueless. LOL!

• Alyssa

April 4, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I’m so so glad you found K! Can’t wait to hear more about her and Bella.

Sounds awful about that second girl, yikes!

• Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life

April 4, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Glad you found K!!! And to the other girl, OMG, I can just now believe it…at all.

• Alena

April 4, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Wow that attitude. In the words of Dr. Phil “How’s that workin’ out for you?”

Too bad there isn’t a way to see a secret review on that sitter site that other parents could see with out her knowing that would tell them all to stay away..far away!

April 4, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I know. I wish I could say something. Maybe she was a lot more enthusiastic with people who lived closer?

• Alexia

April 4, 2011 at 8:20 pm

WTH?! Who comes over to someone’s home and acts like they are totally put out to be there. Sounds like you already made up your mind BEFORE she got there, but still. On the bright side at least you didn’t have to agonize over the decision…

Can’t wait to hear how well it works out with K. Congrats on finding someone!

April 4, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I was feeling guilty all day about having to choose between them. Until I met her. Then I was like, “She doesn’t want to be here as much as I don’t want her too.”

So it was easy after that!

• Teresa

April 4, 2011 at 8:13 pm

No way! Holy crap. “THE kid”?! UGH!!!!

and YAY to the first girl, the winner. Phew!

April 4, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I know, right? She never asked one thing about her. Not one.

• themanager

April 4, 2011 at 8:10 pm

OMW! I wish there had been a hidden camera so I could see this gem in flannel!!! I’m dying here!!!

yes, I’m mean!

April 4, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Lol, I tried to replay it blow by blow to the best of my memory. 🙂

• Sarah

April 4, 2011 at 8:10 pm

The idea that someone would show up to ANY job interview and act like such a stick in the mud is mind-blowing. But to think that a PARENT would leave their CHILD with a bum like that… is insane!

April 4, 2011 at 9:29 pm

That’s what got me. That 5 other families hired this girl to watch their kids.

• Dana K