I did it.

April 4, 2011

I set up interviews with two sitters. Face to face interviews people. After a month of stalling and coming up with every reason in the world why hauling 50+lbs of groceries and a baby up three flights of stairs was a great idea – I caved. I still have Target bags sitting in my car from 2 days ago that I can’t bring myself to go get.

So I contacted a few girls. One was amazing until I (you knew I would) Googled her and found that while her Sittercity profile looked like a nun, her MySpace pic looked like a stripper.

Really.

If you follow me on Facebook, you already know this (because that is where we dish about the cool stuff) and you would have already asked (as someone did), “Who the deuce still uses MySpace?” I don’t know. Not me.

Anyway, I ended up with two (A and K) that were in college looking for very part time work. They are wonderful, they have a few years experience, they are excited. And by excited I mean lots of exclamation points and large, important words in their emails. 🙂

Today is the day. I interview one this morning and one this afternoon. To say I’m nervous is an understatement. I have no idea what I’m doing. I’m used to being on the other end of these interviews.

I’ve got emergency forms printed out, and questions floating around. I don’t want to scare them off, and I don’t want to make them think, “That’s it? I’m watching her most prized possession and that’s all she could come up with?” Or have them think I’m a nut job.

But, whatever is meant to be will be.

So tonight, when Bella has had bathie and story and is tucked in bed, I’ll update you on how it went with A and K. For now, just leave me your best tips on how to impress the sitter. And maybe things not to do.

Like talk about spraying out the cloth diapers into the toilet.

Or how at this moment, I am watching Bella lick the couch.

• Not There Yet

April 4, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Good luck! Think of all the errands you get to run!

• Teresa

April 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Good luck, Diana! This is exciting. It will be wonderful if you find the perfect one today and can relax knowing Bella is in good hands while you get alone time. Keep us posted!

• Mae

April 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Good luck! It’s going to be great. Either if neither of them turns out to be the one, you’ll get a great practice run under your belt!

Also couches are tasty. For toddlers.

• TheNextMartha

April 4, 2011 at 10:31 am

Can’t wait to hear all about it. Obviously I’m too old to even know what this Space thing you are talking about is

• Cathy

April 4, 2011 at 9:52 am

Good luck!

• Lisa

April 4, 2011 at 9:46 am

good luck. can’t wait to hear how it went.

• Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life

April 4, 2011 at 9:43 am

I would watch how Bella interacts with them… she might feel better with one or the other! Children know positive and negative energy! 🙂 You will do fine! Ask them whatever you feel is important, ask about their discipline strategies (cause that is important- you do not want someone yelling at your baby), ask them what they enjoy doing in their spare time, all the important things… I would mention you cloth diaper, because to someone that could be a deal breaker…although I think what is the big deal…LOL… Good Luck!

• Alena

April 4, 2011 at 9:33 am

I would totally make sure they’re cool with CDing. I think back to being in my early 20’s and that’s just not something I would have been comfortable with. ha ha

Good Luck! I still haven’t brought myself to do this yet…I need to. Lord knows it’s difficult to buy groceries, bring them inside and put them away with a toddler who thinks her job is to DESTROY DESTROY DESTROY!

• Krista

April 4, 2011 at 9:32 am

I don’t have interview question suggestions – just a thought… I’d have them both interact with Bella with you there. See how they do, which one has a better fit with her, which one she takes to better. You were maybe already planning to do that, if so, ignore me.
    Good luck!

• Desi

April 4, 2011 at 9:23 am

myspace??! I would totally nix somebody bc of that haha…seriously though. And you need to purge your pics of binge drinking and club wear if you are looking for jobs. Good luck today with the interviews!