Sunday Confessions: I’m a terrible driver.

April 3, 2011

This Sunday Confession is a tad different as I’m doing a simple link up for anyone who wants to write their own. And I made a nifty little badge to grab if you want. I’ll try to run this every Sunday, link up when you can, confess anything you want – big, small, silly or serious.

I’m a terrible driver – not so much in safety or speed. Rather in paying close enough attention. Crosswalks are a thing of doom to me. I never really notice them. Like, on right turns. Or stop signs. Or in the middle of a road. I just don’t see them until after I’ve gone through. And then I think, “There was a crosswalk back there. I should really look and see if someone is starting/waiting to cross before I floor it.”

Then I feel awful.

And the next time? I do it again.

I have this HUGE fear that one day I will turn into someone on a right turn. Just flatten them. Now, I usually do notice if someone is actually standing there, but if no one is (or I can’t see them) I don’t even think about it.

I also blank out while driving. I think a lot of people do this though. I fall into deep thought and then suddenly I’m at my destination. With no recollection of how I got there. I know I’m focused on driving, but not really on the trip itself.

So now that I’ve made sure no one that knows me will ever drive with me again, I’ll say that I’ve never had a speeding ticket.

I’ve only hit a motorcyclist. But in my defense, he was a terrible driver. And he was fine.

So really, I’m a great driver. Excepting all of the above.

• Branson

April 3, 2011 at 9:15 pm

What a fun idea for a meme! I am allllways griping at the hubby for pulling up to a light and not stopping before the crosswalk. I might even *secretly* hope he gets ticketed for it sometime (preferably a warning ticket of course) so he learns his lesson, haha. How is that for a confession! 😉

April 3, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Dang. I guess I’m not the only one who blacks out during driving. I change lanes and drive on freeways every day, and suddenly…I’m at work. Like I tele-ported myself in my own car. Craziness.
    I’ve also done a complete stop at a red light, looked both ways, and then attempted to drive right on through like it was a stop sign. Driving fail.

• kim

April 3, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Wait. You hit a motorcyclist? And then just popped that in at the end? You CRACK me up. I am, hands down, guilty of every.single.thing you mentioned. Also of hitting a telephone pole while trying to back up, and of being unable to park my van in my own garage. Motorcyclist? You win. 🙂 This is the BEST confession EVER, ever, ever.

• Kat

April 3, 2011 at 11:02 am

I’ve done the whole “blank-out” thing too and it’s a bit scary. My worst driving crime is sometimes going through stop signs. I get so absorbed in the conversation going on around me or something on the radio catches my attention and ….whoosh, right through the stop sign. Thankfully, I’ve never had an accident

• Dana K

April 3, 2011 at 10:46 am

Done! Thanks for doing this!

• themanager

April 3, 2011 at 10:21 am

I wrote mine yesterday so I think it’s meant to be that we both posted are driving whoopsies! lol

• Teresa

April 3, 2011 at 7:50 am

I am SO bad with the “black out” too. I can only hope and pray that when I was actually deep in thought that I was conscious of pedestrians…

• Sara

April 3, 2011 at 7:40 am

I have blanket out while driving too… usually because I have to get up & drive so early in the morning I think. :/