Permanently Plugged In

June 8, 2011

Sometimes it feels like I can’t get away from the Internet.

Even if I want to.

No matter how hard I try, there is always a reminder. A ding, a buzz, a flash. A notification, an alert, a message. I’m never really “off” unless I’m asleep.

And my phone is plugged in right next to me. On vibrate. Just in case.

Only having a cell, it’s necessary for it to be on all the time. And so are the reminders of what’s going on. A new tweet, Facebook message, or email.

And it’s so hard to stop. To keep myself from checking. Because all it takes is a swipe or click. A glance down. Everything is right there at my fingertips. So easily accessible that I can’t make myself to stay away.

Not that I want to. Just that, it feels like maybe I should.

I need IAA. Internet Addicts Anonymous. Only I’m sure I’d need to get alerts from them. And keep in touch with the other members via text. Friend them. Find out if they use Twitter – you know – for support and all.

So tell me, are you in the same technology driven boat or have you learned to get the compulsion to check under control?

• Miranda

June 10, 2011 at 7:33 am

Yep. Addicted. That’s me.

• Suz @ Suz’s Treats

June 9, 2011 at 11:57 am

Hi I’m Suz. (hi Suz) & I’m addicted to social media. I’ll bring doughnuts & coffee to the first meeting. 🙂

• Rebecca

June 9, 2011 at 11:51 am

This is SO me! I’ve actually been feeling pretty convicted about it lately. I say that I really value old-fashioned living…not too much tv, eating whole foods, being outside, reading, not too many stupid plastic toys, etc. But then my iphone is in my hand 99% of the time! I’m super guilty of checking everything all the time, and responding to alerts on the double!

It makes me sad to think that my little one (Grace, 11mos) sees me looking at my phone all the time 🙁

I’m starting to think I might need a one-week fast to break the addiction. We don’t have a home phone either, so I’d have to use my cell for phone calls (which would make it tough not to check everything else!) but I should try to limit it to phone use only. Maybe I’ll do it and blog about it…oh wait, that would require me to be on the internet…bah!

I used to be an AVID reader and it really enriched my life, but now I’m all over the internet in bed before I go to sleep and I can barely remember the last book I read.

Basically, I feel you on this and bravo for writing about it!

1. Teresa

June 10, 2011 at 7:25 am

ditto to everything you just said.

• Janelle

June 9, 2011 at 11:32 am

This is why I don’t want to get an iPhone 🙂

• Alexia

June 9, 2011 at 8:28 am

Hahaha! This seriously cracks me up mainly because I was an absolute IA too until this whole homeless thing set in. I’m guilty of checking my email the second before going to sleep and the second I wake up. And Pinterest? Can suck me in for hours on end…

The crazy thing is that now that I’m internet starved I’d rather steal away and read blogs every second I can. I need it…I’m dying without it. Help!

• story

June 9, 2011 at 5:39 am

Guilty. I so need to get off the computer. I almost wish it would stop working so I wouldn’t be tempted. But then I’d get all twitchy.

• Dallas

June 9, 2011 at 12:58 am

Oh dear, yes. Fortunately I am NOT attached to my cell phone, and rarely have it with me, but at home hours…it’s constantly calling to me. “come heeeeerrrrrre…just check ooooonnnne more tiiiiiiimmmmme.” Oy.

Btw, just gave you an award! Stop by my site tomorrow morning sometime and pick it up if you like!

• Not There Yet

June 8, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Um, yeah…. guilty. I am using my phone to track the baby’s feeding times and today?…. today I dropped the phone on him. On his head… (hangs head in shame….)

June 8, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I have to admit I laughed so hard at this. 🙂 I’m jealous you got an app for that – I used the Itzbeen timer and it was such a pain.

2. Teresa

June 10, 2011 at 7:23 am

I have done that. More than once, while nursing baby in bed. I have to be “plugged in” all day, otherwise I feel bored and lonely…

• Kelly

June 8, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Seriously I’m addicted in a bad, bad way. I have Internet ADD – I can’t stop myself. Whether it’s on my phone or laptop. I just need to be plugged in to everything that’s going on.

June 8, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I have my laptop and phone notifying me of the same things – how sad is that? I’m sitting here and they both go off at the same time.

• Cathy

June 8, 2011 at 12:29 pm

If I got as many tweets, messages, comments etc. I would totally be addicted too! Im addicted to keeping watch to see if I even do get anything! Im a loser!

• Erika @NAMAmmaSTE

June 8, 2011 at 11:49 am

yes… Andy told me last night that I need help 🙂 It is slightly addicting. I think I may need to establish some “offline” hours or something soon though!

• Katrina

June 8, 2011 at 11:14 am

That is SO funny…and SO me. I cannot go for more than 30 minutes without checking my phone (unless I’m on the computer). Ok, most of the time I can’t even go 10 minutes! It drives my husband NUTS. He’s always accusing me of being an “addict” – maybe there’s an app for that!!! lol

June 8, 2011 at 8:53 pm

::snort:: How wrong is that that I Googled “internet addiction help”?

1. Katrina

June 8, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I took an internet addiction test (ironically, online)…I scored at the high end of a “normal” internet user. Only a few points away from having “internet issues.” I’m not sure that my husband agrees! lol

• Elle

June 8, 2011 at 11:14 am

I’m in the same boat. Constantly checking Twitter, FB, email, etc.

• Alison

June 8, 2011 at 8:46 am

As I was reading this, I have my cellphone in one hand, with the laptop in my lap, the tv is on and i’m sending mass text messages and emails in between typing this to you.

I wouldn’t worry about it, unless I walk in your door and your sporting 5 day old XXL sweats and a side pony tail (with hair that hasn’t been washed in a week). Also the fact that the sweats have hot Cheeto stains smeared down the front of them. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, contact your doctor immediately.

*Kisses lol

June 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I am dying. When you come up, let’s reenact this. K?

• Ashley @ Ashley Everyday

June 8, 2011 at 8:41 am

Yes. I can’t even watch a movie without grabbing my phone and checking twitter, email, Facebook and blog a million times. It’s pretty ridiculous. I try to stay aware and put my phone across the room and that usually helps

June 8, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Last night I tried to watch 27 dresses and 15 minutes into the movie – I had been watching for almost an hour.

#sad

• The Mrs

June 8, 2011 at 8:09 am

When I was at home I had to make myself turn off the computer before breakfast and not turn it on again until Sesame Street/nap time.

Because otherwise I was there, checking.

Constantly.

• Jennifer

June 8, 2011 at 8:06 am

I’ll bring coffee to the next meeting! 😉

June 8, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Thank you, I was certainly hoping someone would offer.

• Idiot Mom

June 8, 2011 at 7:52 am

Hi my name is Amy and I’m an Internetaholic and I’m not ashamed. I’ll join you at any meeting, anytime – yes, please tweet me the time:) or call my cell or post on my wall!!

June 8, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Lol, love it. And you know what? This reply is being emailed to you. So another notification…