Shhh, don’t tell anyone…

June 4, 2011

but in all honesty, I’m getting a little excited about moving.

::hears multiple head explosions::

I know, right? Because I’m trying to cram packing and moving into >3 weeks and doing it all by myself, but it’s kinda fun. Yesterday I threw out 4 trashbags full of crap we never use. I had such a rush, such a feeling of joy. Somehow this feels so familiar to me…

And here’s the other thing.

Are you ready?

Hold on to your chones.

Tight.

No I’m not preggers.

πŸ˜‰

I’m actually ::whispers:: excited about moving to Texas.

I KNOW.

What’s that all about? I do wish it wasn’t El Paso. I mean, I had a 3 hour layover in Dallas on the way to see Sam in Georgia and let me tell you – Texas people rock my world with how friendly they are. There was a baby on the plane that screamed for 2 1/2 hours solid and no one said anything – everyone tried to help that poor mom out. Including me, but that’s a blog post for next week.

Dallas was green and pretty and I was all ::sad face:: that we didn’t get to live there.

But oh well. I’m excited for a new place, excited for another fresh start, excited that I’m getting a cute townhome and not another apartment (and I will make this happen if I die doing so – no more apartments).

I’m excited to be a real Army wife. Next to a base and with a commissary and EVERYTHING.

So there you have it. Revelations people.

Perhaps I should have saved this for tomorrow’s Sunday Confession. But I have a funny one for that.

Texas – I’m kinda glad we’re going to be friends. ::fist pump::

Temporarily. πŸ™‚

• Janelle

June 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm

So glad I’m not the only one who gets a high from tossing out crap. My dad spends a month in San Antonio every year selling Christmas Tress – has for the past 30 years. He always comes home with great stories, and the family that “takes him in” there has been nothing short of amazing to us, even though they have never met us. I would not be into moving to Texas myself (mostly because I can’t handle heat – Michigan is too hot for me in the summer), so I understand your anxiety…but I do believe the people will make up for the “Texas-ness” of it all. I hope πŸ™‚

• Becca

June 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I’m from texas so i was sad to hear that you were so bummed about going and so happy when i read this! Texas ROCKS! I’m so happy for you! El Paso isn’t that bad! HOT, but not bad! I hope you guys love it! Happy moving!

• themanager

June 4, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I’m jealous you’ll be in Texas! I love Texas! maybe I will come visit you in Texas just so I can be in Texas.

I love Texas.

June 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Yay!! So excited for you πŸ™‚ I love purging the house when we move. It never fails, I always find things that seem to slip through the cracks from the previous moves. I’m glad that you’re starting to get excited. It’s definitely a new start and something to look forward to. And it’s a definite plus that you won’t have to walk up and down 3 flights of stairs to get anywhere now πŸ™‚

• Lucy

June 4, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Doesn’t it feel good to get rid of stuff? Good luck on the move. A fresh start in a sunshine-drenched place sounds like a great opportunity.

• Kelly

June 4, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Texas people are SO friendly! I’ve lived all over and we’ve never really known our neighbors – here we talk to them all the time. I was taking a walk with my daughter in her wagon and someone stopped me to tell me how cute she was and have a 10 minute conversation with me.

And then there’s the Tex-Mex – yum!

I already told you I wished you were closer. Austin would be ideal – I mean Camp Maebry is right here or even San Antonio.

I can’t wait to hear about your adventures in El Paso. Having a commissary nearby is the best – I miss commissary privileges.

You WILL make friends being an Army wife. That’s the great thing about the military – you have a built in support system and people that have been in your position as the new person on post/base.

Good luck with the packing!

• TheNextMartha

June 4, 2011 at 11:09 am

You can always go to the Texas state fair too. Oh, fried chocolate, how I love thee.

• kim

June 4, 2011 at 10:42 am

Will you send me voice recordings of men talking with a southern drawl? I mean, I might like that. Kinda. Maybe. πŸ™‚ Glad you’re getting excited πŸ™‚

• Suz

June 4, 2011 at 9:58 am

Glad you’re getting excited. I still wish it was NC. But maybe next time. For now, start practicing your “y’all”! πŸ™‚

• Teresa

June 4, 2011 at 9:53 am

I am so happy to hear that the dread has turned to excitement! I love fresh starts and it will be so nice to not have to walk your groceries up those stairs!! Texas people are friendly and oh how I love a cowboy accent.

• Teresa

June 4, 2011 at 9:35 am

It sort of feels like you join a club when you get to be near a base, doesn’t it? I miss being part of that club. You’ll also be around women who make fast friendships because they’re used to moving around and needing the support of community. I’m excited for you!

We’re in a family dorm which is a nearly new apartment complex for the next two years. This morning I proclaimed to my husband that we also will be forgoing apartments in the future. Even though we plan to continue renting, only buildings with character, non-white walls and yards are on our agenda. I just can’t handle the beige anymore.

• story

June 4, 2011 at 9:17 am

Hey, I moved to Texas once! During our kidless grad school days, so it was for sure easier, but I really had enjoyed those years. It was so out of my comfort zone, but in the end it was a bit of an adventure. (Knowing it was temporary helped.)

• Miranda

June 4, 2011 at 9:08 am

Yay for coming around on Texas. A little! Still wish it was Georgia.

• Branson

June 4, 2011 at 9:04 am

I am so excited for you! And yes, there is nothing better than getting rid of massive amounts of crap, lol. Hooray for fresh starts and no more apartment! πŸ˜€