For the love of writing.

July 28, 2011

I have a confession to make.

Ugh. It’s not one I want to tell you but I have to. Otherwise this post is pointless.

I’m still in school. :/

Like, not as getting a Master’s (yet). As in getting a Bachelors.

Now, if you’re wondering how on earth I taught school with no degree, the answer is: It was a private school. So they knew me, how far along I was in school, and that I’d already taught at a Pre-K level and offered me the Kindergarten job when it opened up.

And I’ve never bothered to mention it on here because it seems as though everyone has already done this, and that’s just the way it’s supposed to happen. School, marriage, career, babies.

I’ve never been very good at playing by the rules. I’ve never wanted the perfect suburban life, not really. I wanted adventure and to see new things. Which is great because in the Army the chances of being settled in one place for long are not in my favor. :p

So I went back to school after years of being a nanny, and chose teaching. For a while, I loved it. But after I got pregnant with Bella, everything changed. I didn’t feel the same way about teaching I had before.

Then I started to blog. And the thought of teaching was even less appealing. I still had to student teach, which I put off as long as I could. But it was scheduled for this winter. 3 months in which Bella would be in daycare, I would be a slave to a school, and I wouldn’t have time to write. I dreaded it every single day.

Dreaded.

After I wrote the post “I think I know” I realized I was on the wrong track. I did not want to teach. I want to write. Desperately. There has been no way for me to make writing all I want it to be with the degree I was in. I wanted to throw my whole life track to the wind and start over.

So I did.

I talked to my (ever patient) school mentor and we switched my degree to one without student teaching. It was such a huge decision that I felt a little sick doing it (I’ve been on this track for so long), but then like a huge weight had been lifted off me.

Then came the next decision; our family size.

Sam and I had been talking about more kids – adoption, pregnancy – for a few months now. We could never agree about having another and when – we both went back and forth since I had such a hard pregnancy and first year with Bella.

We decided in order for me to write and really throw myself into freelancing and networking, we needed to wait. There is no way I can see trying to do this and either having hyperemesis again, or trying to deal with the ups and downs of adoption, or dealing with 2 little ones vying for my attention. It’s not fair to them either. So until next year, that’s on hold so I can focus on writing and find a path in it I feel steady on.

I’m excited. I have blogged on a consistent basis for 18 months, I’ve written since I was a little girl. This is what I want to do. I don’t know how to go about it but I bought a few books, sent off a few work samples to the magazines I love, and hope that by going to BlogHer I’ll learn even more about it.

I’ll (of course) be updating how it’s all going. And I’d love to hear any suggestions on how to go about freelancing, writing, being published, or just networking (which I am terrible at) in general.

And? I get to tell people I’m a writer. For reals. Finally.

I can’t even explain how that feels. I’ll be a WAH mom. Maybe I’ll need to update my Twitter name. 😉

Now to get down to the real writer deal and past the excitement of just “being” one. You can’t use excitement to buy groceries.

• Miranda

July 30, 2011 at 12:03 pm

This? Is amazeballs, Diana! GO YOU!

• Suz @ Suz’s Treats

July 29, 2011 at 7:03 am

Very happy that you’re not settling for something you don’t love & instead are throwing yourself all in for something you do love! Can’t wait to read & hear how it’s going!

• Kim

July 29, 2011 at 5:03 am

So proud of you for following your heart and your dreams. Be confident. You’re rocking this writing gig. 😉

• Ashley

July 29, 2011 at 12:13 am

I’m happy for you that you have found another passion to pursue:] I went completely out of order too. I didn’t even finish high school before I was moved out and married. I haven’t gone to college but I also hated school and really don’t want to yet. Maybe one day. But I think I want to do something creative or charitable that doesn’t need a degree

• Shell

July 28, 2011 at 9:11 pm

How exciting! I wish you luck! Hope you learn a lot at Blogher.

I taught for six years before my oldest was born and thought about going back last fall. Until I realized(because I sobbed so hard I fell down on the floor) that I didn’t really want to go back.

• Erika @NaMammaSte

July 28, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I think you already know this, but I’m going to say it anyway. I think you are one of the most intelligent and capable women I know and I believe, with all my heart, that you will get everything you want and more.

As others already said, there is no “correct” order to life. I actually think the road less traveled is usually the more interesting path.

You are an amazing writer and I’m so happy for you that you made a decision that makes you happy! ((hugs)) <3

1. Erika @NaMammaSte

July 28, 2011 at 8:23 pm

oh, and Bella’s a lucky little girl to have such a wonderful role model to look up to!

• Capital Mom

July 28, 2011 at 5:52 pm

That is very exciting! It takes courage to go after your dreams. Good for you. (and yes, I would like to one day call myself a writer but I’m not there yet).

July 28, 2011 at 7:11 pm

You know, I think it’s all about when you realize you’re doing what you love. I didn’t realize it till just recently, so I just “blogged”. And now I know. So go ahead, call yourself one. 🙂

• Tammi

July 28, 2011 at 5:11 pm

So excited for you, Diana!! I’m a member of the “let’s just try a different order” group. I think it’s really a great thing for kids to see how we value education too(regardless of age) and we’re willing to work hard for something now. Best of luck!!

July 28, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Thank you – you always leave me the most uplifting comments on here. <3

• Tracy

July 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm

So happy for you! You are living the dream!

July 28, 2011 at 7:10 pm

And we’re going along for the ride together now – again. 🙂

1. Tracy

July 29, 2011 at 3:56 pm

A day late…but I wish you could have seen the giant smile on my face when I saw your reply.

July 28, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Your not alone, intact your ahead of me, I haven’t even started school of any sort. I hated high school, with a passion, and the last thing I wanted to do was go to a traditional college. So…I didn’t. now I have three kids and possibly more (?) in the future. I will go to cosmetology school when they are all in school. I think it’s awesome and brave of you to change everything to do something you love!!!

July 28, 2011 at 7:09 pm

You rock as a mom, you are so amazing what you can handle and deal with. I admire you for that so much.

• Krista

July 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm

The first step to getting to where you want to go is knowing where you want to go. Or something poetic like that. 🙂
    Cheering you on from the other side of the country!

July 28, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Yay! Thank you, that means a lot coming from you.

• Janelle

July 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm

July 28, 2011 at 7:07 pm

It was helpful, she’s got a lot of good info going! Thank you <3

• Mrs. MidAtlantic

July 28, 2011 at 11:19 am

Love this! Keep following your heart, Lady! Hugs and kisses typed through the internets!

July 28, 2011 at 7:07 pm

🙂 Love it.

• Hanan

July 28, 2011 at 10:44 am

I think it’s truely amazing to be able to have a voice and have it heard out here!! You do what you do best! The rest will fall into place =)

July 28, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Thank you! And? So can’t wait to see you (and see your rockin’ flats!)

• Cathy

July 28, 2011 at 10:19 am

OMG!!! yay! im sooooooo happy for you, how exciting. You’re crazy about the whole school thing, school is awesome no matter what! Im jealous too bc I literally have ZERO clue about what I want to be when I grow up and college is long gone! eek!

July 28, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Shut your mouth, I’m going to send you my school work and have you do it for me. Then you’ll see. 🙂

Love you.

• curlsofred

July 28, 2011 at 10:19 am

Go with it and rock it out the best way you know how! Glad you have the opportunity to do what you want 🙂

July 28, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Thanks for the support! I’m grateful I do as well, I feel really blessed to be able to pursue this right now. I’ve done a lot of stuff that could have screwed it all up.

• Samantha

July 28, 2011 at 10:08 am

I can’t wait to read all about your journey!

July 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Thank you!

• Stacy

July 28, 2011 at 9:41 am

You can do it! There’s no correct order in which to do things anymore. What matters is that you’re finishing what you started. It doesn’t matter when! You’ve got a beautiful little girl and she deserves to have a mom who keeps learning, whether that’s in a formal or informal sense. And trust me, you’re young enough that you can wait for another child, whether it’s through adoption or pregnancy. I’m 36 and just about to be a mom for the first time! 🙂

July 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm

((hugs)) I love this – thank you Stacy.