Small Obsessions

August 30, 2011

“Uh oh, sa?”

“Ball.”

The words I hear more than any others during the day. Bella has been totally, and completely obsessed with fans since she was just a few months old. And one of her very first words was “Sa” which means fan. (Don’t ask, we don’t know why either) She simply adores them. Every morning she wakes up, runs out to the front room, points to each fan and repeats with utmost concern, “Uh oh, sa? Uh oh. Sa? Uh oh,” until they are all on and oscillating.

We tried telling her it was ok they were off one time and this led to her becoming massively distraught over them not being on.

Her room has the ceiling fan she loves more than any other. I swear she could spend all day gazing in adoration at that fan.

Then there’s balls, or a billion. At Gymboree she spends her time collecting balls and putting them in places. They can’t be shared or taken by another child. A ball is a treasure, something to be kept close by and guarded. When all else fails, she places them in my lap for safekeeping. Then sits on them. Like a nest.

When we head to Target, the best part of her trip is the large red cement balls outside the doors. At home she has indoor balls, outdoor balls, all shapes and sizes. Each one is loved more than the next.

Sunday Sam and I headed to Home Depot to find bulb covers for two of the ceiling fans in our house – the guest room and Bella’s room. They had apparently broken so there was just a light bulb with no cover hanging from each fan. We found two white ones, made of glass, and put them in the cart.

When we turned the corner, we were in the aisle of ceiling fans (like a few hundred) and Bella’s face was pure rapture. She sighed and stared up at them, only to realize they were all motionless and begin her concerned, “Uh oh. Sa? Uh oh?”

Leaving the aisle, while telling her it was fine the fans weren’t moving, she noticed the bulb covers. To Bella, they looked like white balls. So she repeatedly asked for the balls as I tried to show her that it wasn’t a ball. It didn’t matter. “Ball? Ball? Ball?” was all we heard until she got in the car and couldn’t see them.

We drove home and I installed the covers. I turned her ceiling fan off to do it, and heard her say, “Uh oh, sa? Uh oh,” as she realized it had stopped moving. Sam whisked her OCD self off to eat dinner. After, I had Sam come look to see if they were on straight. Bella followed us in, looking to make sure the fan was on again. It wasn’t. I poked Sam and we both started to giggle at what we knew we’d hear. “Uh oh…”

But seeing the bulb cover bolted into the fan and hanging down, she got a look of bewilderment and shock on her face. Pointing her tiny finger up at the fan, she said in horror –

“Uh oh, ball?!”

• jess

August 31, 2011 at 5:57 pm

The fact that I got to see such cuteness in person makes me happy.

• Kim

August 31, 2011 at 2:50 am

Totally giggling over here! I’ll make sure my ceiling fan is clean is on for her and we’ll stock up on some indoor balls for her. 🙂

August 30, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Ball is a favourite around here too. And seriously what is with kids and fans?

• Alexia

August 30, 2011 at 5:46 pm

It’s so funny what they get fixated on, isn’t it? But it is so amazing at home much they recall and remember at this phase. Babies are cool and all but toddlers…way cooler ; )

• Adam

August 30, 2011 at 12:36 pm

So does it make me weird that I could lay and watch a fan for hours at a time too? (and by could I mean until Isaac was born it wasn’t that uncommon)

Right now Isaac likes fans but LIGHTS blow his mind. Except they’re pronounced “Ah” (and every once in a while “Aht” with a finger pointed up.

• Tabetha Smelser

August 30, 2011 at 12:13 pm

That is just absolutely adorable!

• Stephanie

August 30, 2011 at 10:16 am

Your daughter’s so cute! I absolutely love your blog!

• Mrs. MidAtlantic

August 30, 2011 at 9:25 am

It’s amazing the things our toddlers become obsessed with! Laura can’t stand seeing shoes without feet in them. She has tried to fit several pairs of shoes on my poor feet at once, and gets so angry when they don’t all fit! “SHOES ON! SHOES ON!”

• R’s Mom

August 30, 2011 at 8:02 am

Change a few words in your post, and this could have been about R! Only his obsessions are trucks and tractors. He has several tractor toys, books with tractors, a shirt with a tractor, etc. And he has to point them out all day long. Tractor! Tractor! Tractor! And when we’re out driving around, he points out all the trucks. It blew his little mind the other day to see a big truck with a tractor on the flat bed. He said…Truck? Tractor? Trucktor???

• Alyssa

August 30, 2011 at 7:48 am

Thanks for making me lol and start my day right.

Hailey likes all fans off. Actually I think she just likes having control over them.

• melissa

August 30, 2011 at 7:16 am

LOL, that’s cuteness!

August 30, 2011 at 7:13 am

Too funny, kids come up with quite the entertainment.