I didn’t have to wait till she was 16.

September 2, 2011

Last night Sam was gone, having to work a 24 hour shift on “duty”. After watching The Bodyguard and getting all hot under the collar for Kevin Costner, then freaking out that someone was going to break into our home, I checked every door/window in the house to make sure nobody was waiting to murder us. (Does anyone else ever think they would die of a heart attack if a face appeared in a dark window?) Then I checked on Bella.

She woke up when I pulled her covers over her, looked at me with her big eyes, and I decided, “You know what? We’re going to snuggle tonight.”

I carried her, half asleep in my arms, to the bed, tucked her in next to me, and snuggled up beside her. I listened to her breathe and marveled at how big she had become. I thought of how fast almost 2 years had gone by, how much I missed her being tiny.

And then I started to cry. It was all gone so quick and before I knew it she’d be giving me giving me the finger and running up the stairs screaming, “I HATE you. You are the worst mother EVER!”

I just wasn’t ready for it.

As I lay there choking back sobs, she turned to face me, paci in her mouth. Her little hands reached out, took my face and patted it.

Then she stuck her finger up my nose, said delightedly, “Mama nose?” laughed till she choked, and had to be taken back to bed after repeating it twice more.

So I got the finger anyway. Just a few years early.

• Lauren @ Hobo Mama

September 7, 2011 at 2:14 am

Oh, my gosh, that is hilarious. At least it broke up your melancholy. Kids are good for that.

My mom thought she was sharing a touching moment with my niece, who was snuggling on her lap and peering up into her face. Then my niece spoke up, “Nana, you have something in your nose.” “Oh,” says my mom, reverie broken, “should I blow my nose?” “No,” says my niece after another beat, “it’s just hairs.”

September 7, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I laughed so hard reading this – isn’t it awkward what kids come up with?

• MomEinstein

September 3, 2011 at 6:10 am

How sweet is she? My DD thinks the nicest thing ever is to grab my lips with her whole hand and dig her nails into my skin. I would love it it if didn’t hurt so much!

• Nikki

September 2, 2011 at 11:28 pm

& PS: I’m so glad I rediscovered your blog. I’m reading through a few of your recent posts, and I can totally relate to a lot of the things you’ve written. It’s always nice to know I’m not the only one out there with a kid who’s obsessed with balls LOL 🙂

September 7, 2011 at 6:48 pm

It makes for awkward moments when I yell out “Balls” repeatedly during class or playdates. I feel wrong. :p

• Nikki

September 2, 2011 at 11:23 pm

This cracked me up! Not sure if it’s because I just had a similar experience (except Carley was pointing out belly buttons) and got mad when she couldn’t find hers because she was wearing one of those jammies that the shirt snaps onto the pants. LOL

• NainaDG

September 2, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Such a sweet and funny story. Its like motherhood, there are no single emotions anymore, they are all jumbled up together. If that makes any sense….

September 7, 2011 at 6:49 pm

It certainly does.

• jess

September 2, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Absolutely precious. It kills me how fast time is flying.

• Rebecca

September 2, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I love this! Grace and I had a snuggle night last weekend when we slept over at my moms house. She kept waking up in the pack n play so I just scooped her up into the bed with me. It was so wonderful snuggling into her little body and feeling her breath on my face. It’s crazy how they grow up so fast.

I also love the silly ending to your snuggle session 🙂

September 2, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Lol, so sweet.

• melissa

September 2, 2011 at 12:15 pm

LOL!!! Cute story! I love those moments with Parker! And now that he’s over the snuggle phase because he never sits still, I can solace myself knowing Katie will be here soon to snuggle in between the moments when I catch parker unaware and get a quick squeeze in. 🙂

• Sara

September 2, 2011 at 11:35 am

I have tried to snuggle with Ollie too… it just doesn’t work at this age, I guess. We always end up beat up or laughing!

• Jill

September 2, 2011 at 10:40 am

This post totally had me tearing up. I totally get it. Sigh.

September 7, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I know, right? It’s over so quick.

• Adam

September 2, 2011 at 10:20 am

Some friends and I used to say that you know you’re true friends when you’d let the other person pick your nose.

So congratulations!

September 7, 2011 at 6:50 pm

::bows:: Thank you. 🙂

• Alena

September 2, 2011 at 9:33 am

When ever I’m upset or sad Sophia stars pointing out all the parts of my face. And of course…how could I stay upset to that?!