AAAAHHHHANXIETYAAAAAHHHHHH

November 29, 2011

Because NOTHING EVER GOES THE WAY IT SHOULD.

I go into the Dr today to have my annual exam (family, it’s ok if you just stop reading here. Please.) and she informs me the Mirena I had inserted 2 years ago?

IS GONE.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Of course it is. Of course.

Because the entire way there I pepped talked myself with positive thoughts. “This will go well, you hate these exams but so does everyone else. It will be ok.”

And even with the Mirena display sitting there, mocking me, I told myself it would be fine.

So naturally it wasn’t.

The Dr. told me she can’t feel or see the strings, and because of this, has to do an ultrasound.

If that doesn’t work, they’ll have to do surgery.

All of which will be more painful than a regular removal, and result in more healing time. Unless there are further complications. Like it’s in the uterine wall.

::HEADEXPLOSION::

I am done. I will never, ever use birth control again. I’ve had problems with the pill, the patch, the ring, and now this.

And my friends? I am done. I’m going to be a walking advertisement for Taking Charge of Your Fertility from now on.

I am trying to not worry myself into a frenzy about the things that could go wrong. I should never have come home and googled, “Mirena strings are gone.” NEVER.

Yet I did.

Also? Totally don’t like the Dr. Do midwives do this stuff?

Next Thursday is the ultrasound. This Thursday is my therapy appointment.

Looks like we’ll have stuff to discuss.

Until then, I’ll be here. With an IUD floating around in me. Poking me with it’s evil strings.

• To BC or not to BC. And to find a midwife.

December 8, 2011 at 8:01 am

[…] morning I get the missing Mirena […]

December 2, 2011 at 11:10 pm

A certified nurse midwife can do everything an OB/GYN doctor can do, except for surgery. In which case, most certified nurse midwives CAN scrub in on a surgery with a physician that they work with. If you lived closer, I would totally recommend an amazing CNM that I work with. She’s great. I hope you find a practitioner that you feel more comfortable with. And this post?? Is EXACTLY why I don’t want any form of birth control inserted into my body. I hope they can remove it without major surgery!!

• Janelle

December 1, 2011 at 1:33 pm

FYI – my midwife inserted my mirena for me. love her.
    Thank goodness I was just in to get things checked out, or I would be running paranoid to her right now. Good luck…I hope it is a simple fix!

• Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife

November 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Dear God! AHHH!!

I’ll never take another form of birth control ever again. I chart (well I did before I was pregnant…haven’t seen AF is over a year) and it’s incredibly simple and I feel way more in control than I did when we relied on the pill.

I hope they find your missing contraception ASAP.

• JM

November 30, 2011 at 10:04 am

If you’re super anal about preventing, you could purchase the Clear Blue Easy Fertility Monitor… It’s usually used for the *opposite* purpose, but if you’re not quite regular as far as cycles go, it’s a good tool.

Good luck! I never had BC issues (loved the ring), but then again, I have infertility issues so I’m sure *any* method would have worked 🙂

• Kate

November 30, 2011 at 9:10 am

Yes, most midwives do well woman care (annual exams, pap smears etc). I’ve actually never gone to an OB/GYN for my annual exam, just midwives
    (and a PA when I was younger).

• Sarah Hammond

November 30, 2011 at 8:19 am

Oh My Gosh, that’s CRAZY! My friend Gigi recently had an issue with this thing by her belly button that showed up on a random x-ray.. guess what? It was her IUD that she thought possibly fell out years and years ago! She had it inserted after her first kid, only to get pregnant like right after when it vanished lol. Her kids are a year apart, but at least she finally found her IUD. hehe. I wanna know how the hell it got behind her belly button!

• the grumbles

November 30, 2011 at 7:34 am

SHUT YOUR MOUTH. i too have a mirena. and i’ve never ever been able to feel the strings. now i want to go to the doctor and make sure it’s still in there! if i could go back in time i wouldn’t have gotten one, i worry about the damned thing so much.

• Devan @ Accustomed Chaos

November 29, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I hated it too — > posted about it even: http://accustomedchaos.com/my-uterus-hates-me-thanks-me-at-the-same-time/

Never again for me either.

• allison

November 29, 2011 at 7:15 pm

*******I HAD TO HAVE SURGERY TO HAVE MIRENA REMOVED FROM MY ABDOMEN. I had it inserted, had some pain so i called the nurse… she replied “honey, cramping is normal, just try to relax” two weeks of off and on pencil stabbing pain, I go back, to find after an xray– that it was in-fact in my belly. The OB/GYN did lap surgery to remove it. It was lodged between my bowel and an artery, i was suprised to find it could have been very serious. If it did not fall out, it IS IN YOUR ABDOMEN, and it will require surgery to remove it. the sugery/recovery wasn’t that bad… fighting with the mirena company to stop charging my credit card monthly for something that caused me such a problem…. that was the hard part. Hope you figure things out soon, and i would actually demand to get it all figured out ASAP…. its your body.

November 29, 2011 at 7:47 pm

That is scary! Thankfully I’m not having any pain or have ever and my doctor confirmed its still in my cervix, it’s just out of reach for her. They need an ultrasound to find the strings.

1. allison

November 29, 2011 at 7:59 pm

oh… lol. i must have missed that part. thank God! seriously!!!

November 29, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Just read your fb comment! 🙂 It was a mess going in though – horrible but only because of that stupid clamp. Then it was fine and nothing since then. I’m hoping so hard it’s an easy fix once they find where the strings are.

Why do we do these things to ourselves?

• Amber

November 29, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I have been reading your posts, but life has been busy and I haven’t been able to comment until now.

First off, for more reasons than I can even explain right now, HUGS.

Second, I hope all goes well with finding and extracting Mirena.

Thirdly, the pill did very bad things to me when I first got married. So I went off it. For EIGHT years of marriage, we just timed things and remained childless (as we planned) and I was a much happier person w/o BC. Not that I am saying I don’t freak whenever my period is late, but things for the most part are good.

I hope all works out well. Thinking of you!

• Mrs. MidAtlantic

November 29, 2011 at 4:53 pm

For the love! You just can’t catch a break! What a mess! I don’t know what midwives can and can’t do, but it’s worth asking around. It’s also very worth finding a lady doctor you feel comfortable with!!!

November 29, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I so thought this was going to be the dr I loved. She has great reviews. I just felt so out of place and hurried. Not at all like my last obgyn. So I’m going to keep looking around after the next appt.

• Teresa

November 29, 2011 at 4:34 pm

OMG!!!!! I had the Mirena inserted 2 years ago and had it removed a month later because I couldn’t shake the eerie feeling that a piece of plastic was living in me. I do the fertility calendar now and have no problems tracking. Good luck and please keep us posted! Praying.

• Anne-Marie

November 29, 2011 at 4:32 pm

That just sucks. Sucks. No good, stupid, bad and unfair. Boo!

• Stacy

November 29, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Dr. Google is EVIL! I thought I had every disorder possible while pregnant & I think Erin has everything too. Avoid it if possible, but I know it’s unlikely. ::hugs::

November 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Sam has banned me from googling it for the rest of the week. 🙂

• Katrina @ Hix in the Stix ~ Army Edition

November 29, 2011 at 4:30 pm

OH MY WORD!!! You have a total right to feel paranoid! Hopefully everything will go alright!. I’ve had a problem with every form of birth control I’ve been on also :-/ Right now I don’t have to worry about it. But when he comes home we’re going to do the family planning method; which worked great for us before our daughter was born…and while she wasn’t EXACTLY planned we certainly knew she was a possibility! lol

November 29, 2011 at 7:51 pm

When Sam was gone I always stopped anything I was on too. I’ll never do this again. Never.

• Alena

November 29, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I mean at least you know with out a doubt that it’s SOMEWHERE in your uterus or it’s in some waste management systems filter. And I imagine if it’s the second, you would have known. lol

November 29, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I should think so. 🙂

• Tabetha Smelser

November 29, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Oh dear….. I really, REALLY hope they find it without surgery!

November 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm