Mad Men and Boobs.

November 2, 2011

Sam and I started watching Mad Men a couple months ago after we finally pulled ourselves from a nearly 7 month mourning period over Lost. At first we weren’t impressed. I was annoyed with how glamorous Mad Men made smoking, drinking, sleeping around, and being a general douche look.

It wasn’t Lost. I didn’t want it. Take it away.

But then. Then, well, we got hooked. I don’t remember how or where, but it suddenly became the show we had to see after Bella went to bed. We’d make popcorn and tea, then discuss it while watching, saying things like, “Why is Don so awful to Betty?” and “I hate Pete and his large head” and “This show makes me want a cigarette.”

One night Sam blurted out, “Dear Lord, Joan has the biggest boobs I’ve ever seen.” And instead of getting mad, I totally agreed.

Because HELLO. She does.

I rooted for Don and Betty to both pull their heads out and make it work. For Don and Roger to be friends again. For Don to realize how great Peggy was. For Don to stop smiling completely as something about his eager, puppy dog smile makes me want to throw my tea mug at his face.

I’m not a huge fan of Don.

But we got sucked in. I loved it more than Sam, but there was nothing better than curling up with him at night and having him become engrossed in the episode with me. I think he has a crush on Betty and Joan but so do I – so it’s all good. Except that Betty turned into a real whack job in season four.

I have no man crushes because I dislike them all, as interesting as I find the men’s characters. Don could be a man crush if he’d stop smiling.

Tonight after I write this, I’m watching the season four finale. And since I don’t see new episodes on Hulu, I will be falling into a black hole of despair and longing as I wait for Netflix to deliver me season five.

And perhaps also deliver me a pair of boobs just as large and perky as Joan’s.

Yes please.

• Anonymous

November 11, 2011 at 7:51 am

Fantastic blog.

Really interesting read! It links perfectly to this article I read the other day by Alex Karidis.

Both fab reads- and I’m well and truly clued up now!

• Cathy

November 2, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Um Joan, totally hot. Betty is a total B in season 4. I Kinda have a crush on Campbell(weird) And I need to drink at work and start smoking and I need it now!!! Season 5 doesn’t start until next year so you have to suffer like me 🙂

• Kim

November 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I’ve never watched Mad Men, but now it sounds all sinful and yummy 🙂 Perky boobs = a good bra. I bet she’s strapped in and tapped up like crazy. Go for it. 😉

• Devan @ Accustomed Chaos

November 2, 2011 at 11:36 am

i LOVE Mad Men & Joan is on my husband’s ‘freebie five’ list of people … cause well, yeah.

• Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife

November 2, 2011 at 11:24 am

I love, love, love Mad Men! I started watching when I was on maternity leave this summer. I need to watch the last 4 episodes of season 4. I love/hate Don…it’s very confusing for me. I hated Peter at first but now I think Peggy was just as culpable in that whole situation as he was (she’s not as naive as she wants everyone to believe) and Betty is out of her ever-loving mind…I feel so bad for Sally.

There was a contract dispute with the writer and it was just recently settled so I don’t think Season 5 will be airing until the spring or summer. BOO!

Oh and touching on Lost…I totally cried like a baby at the series finale.

• Michelle

November 2, 2011 at 11:09 am

I love Peggy and Don. As smug as he is, I like him. A LOT. And for some reason I really want Peggy and Don to live happily ever after. I’m 3 episodes from season 4 finale.
    Betty is so pretty and such a wack a doo. Why won’t she move out of the house!? Doesn’t she see what she’s doing to her daughter? Or maybe Don is causing her to act out… Love Mad Men

• Gia

November 2, 2011 at 8:45 am

girllll, we’re all waiting for baited breath for season 5 to finally drop. From what I hear, there were some negotiation problems which delayed the start of production so the show hasn’t premiered yet this year. I’m waiting for it to come back because I miss that Don! 🙂

• jb

November 2, 2011 at 8:38 am

Funny – I haven’t seen the show (we don’t have cable) but I completely agree with this: ” I think he has a crush on Betty and Joan but so do I – so it’s all good.”

I don’t seem to have a problem if my husband has a crush on a girl I already think is attractive because that just tells me he has good taste. =)

• Nicole

November 2, 2011 at 8:34 am

OH girrrrl, my hubs and I have been watching mad men from the beginning. I couldn’t get into it at first, not because it glamorized smoking and drinking (hello, it was the 1950’s, it WAS glamorous to smoke and drink and womanizer then!). But I soon got hooked after giving it a chance, it’s really well written, historically accurate and so much better than any ridiculous sitcom or whatever on network tv….sadly, the new season isn’t starting until march 2012

• Sarah

November 2, 2011 at 8:22 am

LOST is my all-time favorite show of ALL TIME! Well, that and Battlestar Gallactica. (Super cool points). I need to watch Mad Men though, I’ve heard it’s great.. Oh! you know, if you’re looking for something funny – Community is the best thing going right now and The Walking Dead is pretty awesome too!

P.S. Big boobs always seem like a great idea.. but really… kind of a pain in the ass.

P.P.S. I should go do something productive… like drink coffee…

• Rebecca

November 2, 2011 at 8:21 am

OH. MY. GOODNESS. I could have written this myself!

I’ve absolutely fallen into the black hole of despair now that I’ve seen them all. I am contemplating starting over from the beginning and watching them all a second time!

A few things to note:

1. I too have a girl crush on Joan. Her attitude and confidence gets me every time.
    2. Her boobs are enormous. And also perky which blows my mind.
    3. Don does look like a complete jackass when he smiles. I have a total crush on him when he’s not smiling and even more so when he makes a good choice (as rare as that may be).
    4. Peggy is a rock star.

I’m desperate for the new episodes to start. Do you even know when that is??