Bella, the Carousel, and first attempts at Manual

December 17, 2011

This was my very first time attempting total manual (no AV or TV) so it’s not perfect, but I love the shots of Bella and the Disney carousel her great grandma gave her. I’m not a big fan of Disney, (whole other blog post for another day) but this is too cute. She calls is, “Dis?” and points because “carousel” is just too much for her.

I’m trying to figure out how to make the background more blurred – I know it’s aperture, I’m just not able to put it all together quite yet. Obviously, having only been doing this for 5 days I’m like a billion years away from taking great shots.

Anyway, happy Saturday and enjoy the random cuteness.

Studying it. She likes to wedge small pieces in the carousel and then freak out when it stops going and makes a grinding noise.
Noticing I have the camera. This resulted in her getting up to look at the screen of it every few seconds.
I think she's pretty spectacular. But I do tend to be biased.

• angela

December 18, 2011 at 7:15 am

Your pretty eyes on a little Bella! Love! I know nothing about photography, but I do know about having mixed feelings about Disney…and a daughter obsessed with Disney princesses. Le sigh.

• Krysta

December 17, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Love the pictures! She totally looks like you! I’m looking forward to reading your post about Disney! Do it soon please 🙂

• Cindy

December 17, 2011 at 10:05 am

Nice!! I love manual! I wish I was way better at it!! You will get the blur with your 50mm… I LOVE mine! Mine goes down to 1.4 and the blur is awesome! Have fun!!

• Jen Swedhin

December 17, 2011 at 9:36 am

Dude, these are fantastic! Let’s do another Skype session, the next lesson will take it to another level now that you are getting the basics figured out. Let me know when you want to do it!

• Noelle

December 17, 2011 at 9:19 am

Isn’t photography fun when you have such a cute model? She is so precious! Oh, and you won’t get the blur you’re looking for with your kit lens as its only goes to 3.5. Once you get the 50mm you can blur to your hearts content. I have the 50mm 1.4 and love it. The 1.8 is also great. You’re inspiring me to post more pics!!

December 17, 2011 at 9:16 am

Super cute! Im not a disney fan eithWait I take that back, im not a disney princess fan. (well except Tangled, loved Tangled, Rapunzel is top notch princess)

• Teresa

December 17, 2011 at 8:08 am

She does look like you, especially in the last pic. also, the background does look blurred, I think if you want it even more, back up and zoom in on your subject, if you don’t have a close up lens. I don’t have a DSLR but I dream.

• Elyssa McDowell

December 17, 2011 at 8:04 am

She is darling! She looks so much like you! Nice pics!