I gave birth today. And a little announcement.

December 8, 2011

And by giving birth, I mean to a small, blue, evil Mirena.

If you want to stop reading now I’ll understand. And family members – you might want to. Don’t blame me if you read something you didn’t want to know about – or did but wanted it to be a surprise.

Still here? Ok. I won’t be too graphic.

Turns out the last doctor cut the strings so short while inserting it that they just couldn’t find it. But the ultrasound located it right where it had been for 2 years – in the right place.

After getting on the table where you nearly fall off trying to scoot down, I got the duck bill thing with the special goo, then swabbed, and THEN I GOT SHOTS ALL UP IN THERE TO NUMB IT.

IT.

It being my cervix.

Shots. In my lady parts.

I cried. I cried so hard I started hyperventilating and the ultrasound tec had to hold my hand while I squeezed it so hard I’m sure she has nerve damage. They had to ask me to breathe and stop squeezing my legs in so they could see.

🙁

It was awful. So painful, like giving birth in a small way. I remember saying as I got the second shot, “Never, ever again.”

And I mean it.

But it finally came out, and I didn’t look so don’t worry! No detail there. :/

::gags::

On the bright side, the ultrasound tec lady and I chatted for a while and she knows ALL ABOUT what happened last time. She was like, “Oh – we deal with that all the time!” Early effacement, preterm labor, aged placenta, hyperemesis. She knew all about it and told me exactly how they could monitor me, the baby, and the placenta the entire time to make sure it was all on track.

So now I’m torn. Do I still switch to a midwife?

I don’t like the Dr much more than I did last time. But. They specialize in high risk. And I’m already there. They know about this – at least the ultrasound tec does. I like the office, the staff…

Sam and I have to chat. We think what we might do is have an interview with both the midwives and the Dr. with him in the room and see what we think after.

Oh yeah.

I forgot to mention.

Pretty sure we’re going to try to have another baby.

🙂

• Misty

December 19, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Found the baby announcement post! I got mine out in August, but man, I feel for you…that sounds like an awful experience! I thought mine was lost in there at one point, but I found the strings by myself (TMI, I know). Anyway, hubby and I will be trying for baby #2 next month. I’m excited to go along this journey and read all about your experience….but shhhhh, nobody knows we’re trying except my pretend, online friends…lol 🙂

• Jess

December 13, 2011 at 11:49 am

Oh dear Lord. That scares me. When I got it, holy hell I am pretty sure that it was worse than actually having a baby. So shots to get one out? WTF did I do…

• Sarah P.

December 9, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Hey! You go, girl.

• Teresa

December 9, 2011 at 9:31 am

What a relief!!!!!! I am sad that it was a scary and painful experience, but glad it is over for you!

• molly

December 9, 2011 at 9:23 am

Baby #2! Baby #2! Baby #2! WOOT!

• Amber

December 9, 2011 at 7:23 am

First off, ouch.

Second, very excited and happy for you.

I agree – interviews for both docs and midwives. As much as I am all for midwives, it takes more than a dream catcher and some happy thoughts to deliver a baby. I chose my midwife for her wealth of medical knowledge and was able to feel confident in every move she made during my delivery.

(No offense to dream catchers, happy thoughts, or any who like them. 🙂 )

• Kristen

December 9, 2011 at 7:21 am

I cried during your post. seriously. I’m hormonal 🙂 but then I smiled at the end. Happy baby making 😉

Kristen

• Susan

December 9, 2011 at 6:39 am

I’m so happy for you Diana! And I bet your family is excited looking forward to another grandbaby in the family. I will be praying for you to have a wonderful pregnancy.

• Mrs. MidAtlantic

December 9, 2011 at 6:15 am

BABY!!!!!!!
    AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE BABIES! I really like your babies (so far), too! MORE BABIES!

• Kim

December 9, 2011 at 6:13 am

crying over here. From sympathy pain and pure excitement. And jealousy, I’ll admit. 🙂 Baby dancing as I type!!

• Tracy

December 9, 2011 at 12:05 am

um. well i already knew about the first part…but have to say ZOMG! let’s do it together momma! 😉

• LA

December 8, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Oh. My. God. Case and pt that thing is the rod of Satan. And I’m on the other end, you know 2 kids down probably 2 more to go and my second was so awesome that I dream of 4. So my biased self says yayayaya go for it and the whole trying is tons of fun too 😉

December 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm

The Devil. It was so awful. And I’m crossing my fingers that this pregnancy is far better than the last or no more for us.

• Stacy

December 8, 2011 at 9:12 pm

OMGGGGGG I cannot tell you how excited I am for you! Bella’s gonna have a brother/sister! How cool! A friend of ours had a midwife & a doctor too, so it’s not so uncommon. I’m also glad the Mirena was where it was supposed to be. I considered it as my BC for about a second, but then I remembered health class in high school. And the shots? I remember them too. How weird!

• Daneilia

December 8, 2011 at 8:27 pm

So glad you got the painful stuff out of the way and that you can concentrate on having another cute baby! Woohoo. {{big hugs}}

• Katie

December 8, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Yikes- glad that ordeal is over…you’ve convinced me never to get an IUD! Congrats on making the decision to try again…hopefully karma gives you an easy pregnancy this go round. Good luck!

December 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Thank you!! And my IUD experience isn’t everyone’s but I wouldn’t recommend it from my point of view. 🙂

• Erika @NAMAmmaSTE

December 8, 2011 at 6:54 pm

omg! Torture! That sounds like hell and I would have cried too! Or passed out 😉 I’m so glad everything worked out though and excited about future baby number 2!!

I think interviewing both is a great idea! You just need to find that care provider who makes you feel the most comfortable and secure.

1. Erika @NAMAmmaSTE

December 8, 2011 at 6:55 pm

December 8, 2011 at 10:26 pm

It was awful. You know what a wuss I am with pain. Lol. But clamping my cervix and putting shots into it was horrid.

It seems like there are a shortage of nice doctors here. :/ I’m going to keep looking though! I found the hospital with the midwives so that’s our next stop.

• Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife

December 8, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I’m so glad they found it and it was right where it was supposed to be and not taking a detour inside your reproductive organs.

As far as taking a trip on the baby train again you can definitely been seen by a midwife and a doctor. Are you being seen on post or did they refer you out? You could always find a practice that has both doctors and midwives.

December 8, 2011 at 10:25 pm

We have tricare standard so we could be seen off base. I’m definitely going to look into both options.

• Itze Bernal

December 8, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Since you might be considered high risk, you could have a midwife and a doctor. I know a lot of women who have done that or you can go to University Medical Center and have a midwife that is affiliated with a doctor and delivers at the hospital.

December 8, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I just found that hospital and love it so far – from what I’ve seen online anyway! Thank you for telling me about it!!

• Alexia @ Babies & Bacon

December 8, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I knew it!! I knew after your therapist appointment and the no caffeine and as soon as you said you were gonna get the Mirena removed. That’s great darling, really and truly. Cause you are such an amazing caregiver to Bella and survived all of the stress and difficulties with grace. You will be fantastic with another baby.

And just my two cents on the dr vs midwife debate. I would normally always recommend midwife but I feel like in your case, especially with the complications you had with Bella, I would stick with the doc. But is there maybe another OB at the practice you can try? Someone a little more in tune with you? That would be my recommendation. Good luck!

December 8, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Thanks lady. And I really appreciate your advice. A lot. <3

• TheNextMartha

December 8, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Congrats, and congrats.

December 8, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Lol. 🙂 I’ll take both, thank you.

• stephanie

December 8, 2011 at 5:27 pm

YOU GO GIRL!!!! YAY!!! Another baby!!! SO,SO,SO happy for you!!!!

December 8, 2011 at 4:39 pm

OUCH! That sucks big time. I hope whatever office/doctor/midwife you choose will be awesome, and help you along the way. Yea for number!!!

• Carrie

December 8, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Can you switch to a midwife but still see a high risk doctor occasionally for ultrasound, etc?

1. Dana @SearsFam

December 8, 2011 at 6:09 pm

This is exactly what I am doing! I am getting the great care a Midwife can offer and the High Risk Dr. takes care of all tests and Ultrasounds. They are working together!

December 8, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I have to look into that! I thought it was one or the other but it would be great if I didn’t have to choose.

1. Amber @ Backwards Life

January 17, 2012 at 8:12 am

That’s what I do. My midwife practice is completely separate but I go to a perinatal group for lots of tests and ultrasounds. There’s more appointments, but I’m more comfortable with the midwives attending the delivery than an OB.

• Elyssa McDowell

December 8, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Wohoo for #2! 🙂 Glad everything is ok!

• Noelle

December 8, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Glad they got that thing out of you safely.
    Yay for baby making!!

• Dana @SearsFam

December 8, 2011 at 4:22 pm

YEAH for the birth today, and that it is all over with. YAHOO for MAKING BABIES!!! I was supposed to get that evil little string thing… now I NEVER want to get it. Not good since I am now knocked up with twins and I DO NOT WANT TO DO ANYMORE baby making. I am just so excited for you!!!

December 8, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Get the Essure! It was on my page via BlogHer for a whole. Or make your hubby get snipped. 🙂 You’ve done enough work in that area. He needs to pitch in.

• etosia

December 8, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Omg my lady bits hurt just reading what u went through today! I got the Implanon Implant in my arm bc I heard how sucky the Mirena is. Yay for trying for babe # 2!

December 8, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I’ve never heard of that before! Is it like the shot? (Which I’ve never had)

1. Mrs. MidAtlantic

December 9, 2011 at 6:14 am

I had implanon… it’s a matchstick that is implanted into your arm. You can always feel it (and see it, if you’re playing!) which is a great party trick, but also really sorta gross. It was supposed to make my periods shorter (perhaps disappear!) but mine actually became more regular, heavier and longer. Sigh… I was not disappointed to have it removed a few months early when we decided to try for baby #1. I don’t think I’d get it again, but it was a good three-year stop.

• Alena

December 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHGOINGTOTRYTOMAKEABABYAHHHHHH!!!

1. Alena

December 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Also, that is not my twitter. Let me fix that.