6 weeks pregnant

January 29, 2012

This week has been exhausting. And while I don’t want to be a complainer – I do want to be honest on here.

I.AM.SO.TIRED.

I can only remember being this tired the months after Bella was born. But for that I had a reason. She never slept and I had massive amounts of unnatural energy during the day that allowed me to clean nonstop and regret it at night.

But this feels odd. At 6 weeks, I don’t look pregnant, so sometimes I forget I am and wonder what on earth is wrong with me. I haven’t done much during the day – not anything out of the ordinary, and then I need a nap when she naps.

How did I do this and teach full time when I was pregnant with her?

Thankfully Bella takes great naps (2 1/2 – 3 hours) so I can get a few things done and then pass out. Sam has been a huge help this weekend. He’s so cute about it all. So excited and nervous. He wanted to know the other night if I was sure I was still pregnant. I told him that I couldn’t prove it but was pretty sure I was. lol

There is a certain sense of peace and calmness in our home this time around. Sam is sober, so am I, our marriage is strong and back on track, money isn’t overflowing but our needs are met. It’s just… different. I am enjoying every moment we have on this journey together.

Nausea has increased. No vomiting so far, although the other night I got pretty close. It’s the nighttime that kills me, and it was the same with Bella. This morning I was pretty sick, then I had a terrific craving for a chicken sandwich with mustard and pickles.

I got it and it was terrible. Stupid Chick-fil-A.

I have food aversions – last night I had to cook shrimp. Ew. I crave cold milk and cereal.

All in all, I have moments but I feel ok. Still thrilled and excited – starting to feel/see a little bump which is amazing.

Upcoming things:

– Thursday afternoon I meet my midwife. She has a YouTube video about midwifery that I’ve watched so I “know” her a little, but I’m still nervous. I really want to like her and vice versa. I’ll find out my real due date and get to ask her all my questions.

– We get a in depth tour of the Women’s Pavilion and birthing wing at our hospital this Saturday. It’s brand new so no one’s even used it yet.

If anyone has ideas of meal planning during first tri that is quick and limited on smells, I’d love to hear it. Also looking for links on questions to ask a midwife who does hospital births?

• Jocelyn

January 30, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Hello! I’m new to your blog, and love it. You mentioned looking for some easy meals for pregnancy – I have a great one (although I don’t know how “smelly” it is for your nausea…). Anyway, take one can of chicken broth, one can of black beans, two cans of rotel tomatoes, 8 oz frozen corn, 1/4 cup cilantro, one tsp cumin, one tsp garlic, one tsp cayenne pepper (to taste), one tsp onion powder, 3 chopped scallions, and 2 frozen chicken breasts, and put them all in the crockpot. Do it on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5. Serve with cornbread or over rice. It is super tasty, nutritious, and SO easy. Hope you enjoy it!

• Eileen @ Bringing Up Bronwyn

January 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I was SO exhausted my first trimester. I still don’t know how I did it. And I had horrible food aversions. No meat. Meat was the devil for awhile. I really stuck to pasta and fruits and vegetables.

• Lynda

January 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I remember being more tired with the second baby. Of course, I was 4 years older, working outside the home full time and taking care of a toddler. Totally different than when I had the first baby.

• Teresa

January 29, 2012 at 2:18 pm

YES! This time around has been the same for me: nausea, but not to the point of vomiting, crazy tired, and I had cereal for dinner last night while my family had lemon chicken and green beans!! I am at 12 weeks and I hope it gets easier soon (could it be twins? eek!)

• MomEinstein

January 29, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I feel like the exhaustion this time was SO MUCH worse and I think it has something to do with running around after a toddler all day. Even though it doesn’t seem like it takes a lot of energy, it really does. I would put her to bed every night, then immediately go to bed myself.

Fortunately, it’s better now and I can stay up until 9:30 or even 10:00 some nights! 🙂

• Becky

January 29, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Ugh the exhaustion. You’ll make it!

And the food aversions too which are random. I craved Bush’s Baked beans with my first, orange juice with the second and salsa with the 3rd. Couldn’t get enough of all of it.

• Janelle

January 29, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I do believe powering through the first trimester when you already have a toddler on had is on of the more difficult motherhood tasks. I remember helping my mom make applesauce, and in the middle of the loud, messy process getting so tired that I passed out on the couch about 6 feet away fro the kitchen, covered in applesauce, while my mom and husband chopped, ran the grinder on the food processor, boiled, etc…LOUDLY. Didn’t matter.
    Enjoy the calm when you can! I say you go with cereal and milk for dinner – Bella would probably love it!

• Tracy @Liberating Working Moms

January 29, 2012 at 9:29 am

I love what you said about how sweet and calm and great this pregnancy is going for you. I’m digging living vicariously through you. And you and Sam are the cutest. Seriously. Can’t wait to hear all about your appointment this week.

January 29, 2012 at 9:38 am

Aw. Thanks lady. I’m excited to tell you all about it Thursday night. Hopefully it goes a lot better than the other Dr. I saw here!

• Stacy

January 29, 2012 at 9:20 am

I remember that exhaustion. I’d fall asleep immediately after I got home from work until dinner and then I’d go back to sleep on the couch until bedtime. I’d sleep all night and then be wiped out the next morning. It was AWFUL! I’m glad Bella naps so well, makes it easier on you.

January 29, 2012 at 9:37 am

It really does. Yesterday she had a short nap and she and I were both cranky all afternoon. Poor Sam.

I hear it gets a lot better second tri. I don’t remember being tired with Bella because the barfing took over all other symptoms.

• Noelle

January 29, 2012 at 8:46 am

Yay, 6 weeks!!

• Anne-Marie

January 29, 2012 at 7:11 am

Perhaps you are tired because you are growing a human being? I hear that takes energy. Just a thought. 🙂

January 29, 2012 at 9:35 am

lol – sometimes it’s so hard to remember that! I stop and think, “What is wrong with me – I just woke up.” And then it hits me.