Together in New Mexico

May 21, 2012

This past week we went up north to New Mexico for a few days.

I grabbed my camera for the first time in quite a while. I’ve missed it. Being so sick with the twins during first and some of second tri left me with no desire to do much of anything, and it was nice to feel the tug to want to capture our moments again.

First we checked into our hotel. The room was horrendous. I’m not a “vibe” kind of person, but it gave me the creeps. It smelled funky, it was put together all awkward – I just felt uncomfortable from the moment we stepped in. But then the shower head didn’t work so they switched us to another, and it was perfect. Win.

Bella has started to ask to do everything by her self. “Do it self.” I hear that about 5 billion times a day. Putting on pajamas is no exception.

Those are her absolute favorite pajamas. She also has truck ones.Β

The next day we headed out to the zoo.

Where Bella saw her beloved giraffes. They almost blend in with that fence, huh?

And I tried a dozen times to capture one of these little guys on a flower but caught it in flight instead.

Then we took the zoo train to the aquarium. Bella totally freaked out when she saw we were getting on this. She calls all trains a “Thomas with no face” because of Thomas the Train. They even had a conductor in overalls with a hat, and a train station where you waited.Β It took about a half hour to get there and back, she was in heaven.

Isn’t she adorable? Once we were at the aquarium she had a blowfish fall in love with her.

Then it was off to the gardens, where we caught a glimpse of a mama duck and her babies.

Yes. I did want to take them home with me. So darn cute.

The wind was blowing for this shot so there’s some blur, but I loved it. This little plant was so different looking and wispy.

The next day on the way home we stopped at a restaurant called Happy Belly Deli in the town of (true story) Truth or Consequences.

If you go through this town – eat here. Amazingly good food, great service, and the cutest place ever. We ate there on the way up and back.

Then we headed home. And I snapped a pic of a little hotness holding the hand of a little cuteness.

• Miriam

July 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm

My grandparents used to spend their winters in Truth or Consequences. This was back in the 1970’s. I remember they would write TorC, NM in the return address on their letters to us. They always wrote about the road runners they would watch in the desert. Thanks for the good memories.

• Kellie

May 23, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Such beautiful pictures…you really have and eye for it…glad you all had a great time together…

• cathy

May 21, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I LOVE the one with the blowfish! So cute!! I miss her πŸ™ well I miss everybody, but mostly her πŸ™‚

• Ranch Mama

May 21, 2012 at 5:35 pm

If I were a blow fish, I’d fall in love with her too! Now he’s dreaming of life on land and trying to figure out which tank the sea witch live in and how to contact her!

• Donan

May 21, 2012 at 3:12 pm

The black and white of your daughter on the the train (I think) is AWESOME. So beautiful!!! It is the perfect picture. I love candids and this one is perfect.

• Katie

May 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm

This is so cool. We LOVE zoos and trains over here. Every vacation we have ever gone on together involved going to a zoo and/or aquarium. And now that we have Eddie, trains must be involved too!

• Christine

May 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I need to start picking my camera up more often. I go through phases with it and I always wish I could go back and make up for the times that I neglected it!

These pics are great. I love the picture of the butterfly in flight.

• Stacy

May 21, 2012 at 9:45 am

So glad you’re getting out and about and decided to visit my great state of New Mexico! It’s a beautiful state, you should check out Santa Fe, especially downtown, very cool.

1. Lyndsay Deurmier

May 22, 2012 at 9:44 am

This is WHY I love living in Santa Fe. I live right off of downtown. Cross of the Martyrs is so beautiful illuminated in the nighttime..and then, kakawa chocolate house (mmm drinking chocolate elixirs!). I could name so MANY yummy places to eat in Santa Fe for the authentic, Santa Fe family style dining like pantry and tecolote.
      I am happy you got to enjoy a time out with your family, and enjoy New Mexico!

• Sandra

May 21, 2012 at 9:44 am

So glad you got out! We were in Albq last weekend as well, then a week in El Paso with my family. The zoo there isn’t too shabby either (I’m comparing it to the horrendous Las Vegas “zoo”). Love the pics!

• Mona Lisa

May 21, 2012 at 8:52 am

My two year old also calls all trains “Thomas”. But differentiates by color. “There’s a red thomas!” “There’s a green thomas!” “There’s a stripe thomas” etc.

• Allison

May 21, 2012 at 8:02 am

Lovely photos!

• melissa

May 21, 2012 at 7:48 am

*love* these pictures! So much so, that it makes me want a camera… This is no good. πŸ˜›

• Good Girl Gone Green

May 21, 2012 at 7:44 am

WOW, they are all stunning, but the last one is my favorite! Glad you were out and about!

• Lisa

May 21, 2012 at 7:03 am

Beautiful, Diana! Especially the last picture!

• Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife

May 21, 2012 at 6:23 am

My heart can’t handle how cute she is!

I love the photo of the giraffe…did you an action on it in editing? It looks almost two-toned.

1. Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife

May 21, 2012 at 6:24 am

That should say “use an action”…clearly I have not had my caffeine yet.