Weighing on Me

June 11, 2012

I’ve always struggled with my weight, and on here anyone who has read for a while knows it’s a topic that comes and goes. After Bella, I had a hard time accepting my body. And it took about 18 months to get back to a shape I could handle without cringing when I saw myself in a mirror. Thank you Spanx.

I never quite wrapped my head around how I would look after having the twins. I tried, but I knew until I had them there was no way to really comprehend what my body would have gone through.

Only I never made it to that point. 19.5 weeks. So almost halfway.

Yet I measured 30+ weeks. So now, I’m left looking like I had a nearly full term pregnancy. With about 20 extra pounds.

And this would all be ok. I could deal with it.

If I had my babies.

So it’s hard to go out and (although no one probably thinks this), I have the paranoia that people are looking at me wondering why I look like I just gave birth and only have a 2 1/2 year old. I have to start completely over with my body and weight and on top of that, I don’t have anything to show for it this time around.

This is very hard. My body is a continual, ugly reminder of what it failed to do.

Eventually things will find a new “normal” on me, as they have already started to, but for my own self confidence and a way to get rid of the constant reminder of how my body was able to pack on pounds when I didn’t need it to anymore, I want to lose the extra weight.

This is where I need your help. I’ve done Weight Watchers twice before and it worked. But last time they had changed their entire points/online system and I found it was so different I didn’t know if I could do it again. Now with working from home and Bella and all the other household stuff, I don’t know that I’d have the time to measure and record everything. I need something online, easy, and uncomplicated. Something that is just about food as I’ll be doing yoga and walking.

I’ll pick a program and blog on it here once in a while as I go along. It’s a huge motivator to do this in front of people who can hold me accountable and cheer me on (or scold me for not sticking to it). My goal isn’t to become Heidi Klum (let’s be realistic) but to lose the weight that isn’t healthy for me to have, while feeling better about myself during a really, really hard time.

Because right now I hate my body for more than just the weight and postpartum look. The least I can do is give myself a shot at finding it acceptable.

What program do you love? Why?

• Tricia Neron

June 14, 2012 at 10:18 am

Hi Diana,

I know almost exactly how you feel. I too have a 2 1/2 year old, he was born on 11/11/09. He is my pride and joy. Since then I have had two miscarriages, the first miscarriage was last year and I was 14 weeks along. The second miscarriage was in February of this year and I was 5 weeks along. It is so hard, I am 42 years old and I feel like I am a mess. My hormones are all over the place and with this last pregnancy I blew up like a wood tick, my stomach popped right out, and I got bloated and puffy. With my first pregnancy I only gained 30 lbs and my stomach did not start to show until 5 months along. My stomach now sticks out as much as it did when I was 5 months pregnant. This last pregnancy did a number on me and I was only 5 weeks. But the doctor says; now I am 2 years older than I was with my first and at this stage it makes a huge difference. I actually think that I might be going through early menopause. My Mom had hers at my age and my last 2 periods have come 3 weeks apart instead of my normal 4 weeks and I have never in all my years been off schedule, I have always been like clock work. So I am coming to the realization that it’s just going to be the 3 of us, my son, my husband and myself and I am ok with that. But I am not ok with my stick out stomach and these thunder thighs, my fat jeans don’t even fit. My thighs weren’t this big when I was 9 months pregnant with my son.

But I have to say that I have not started dieting yet. In the past I have done the Hilton Head Metabolism Diet and it worked great for me. I lost 20 lbs and it is all regular food, you get to eat pasta and steak it’s really great. I am going to start it again in a couple of weeks. I have just started exercising again, I had not done anything since before my son was born. I am a soft flabby mess, but I have been working out for the past 3 weeks and feel great. Now I just have to add the diet, and we all know how hard that is.

Please keep us posted with your progress. I hope you get back on track, lose the weight and feel great. Get in a good head space for that new baby you will be adopting, congratulations!

• Stephanie

June 13, 2012 at 8:51 am

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. I have recently started following your blog as my daughter was stillborn at 33 weeks about 2 months ago, and it helps to read other mom’s stories and know I’m not alone. I have the same feelings as you in regards to my body and I’m wanting to lose the weight quickly. I love eating low carb — I feel better, I get more vegetables in my diet, and in the past week I’ve lost 8lbs. I don’t strictly follow Atkins but they have a great (and easy) online program that’s free. If you need any tips, just ask. 🙂

• Stacey

June 12, 2012 at 8:43 pm

After my husband was diagnosed with cancer last month, the doctor told us that our sweet baby boy’s chance of developing this type of cancer skyrocketed by the time he was 40 and that his diet would be a very large factor to help avoid this type of cancer. Of course, after that appointment I freaked out and spent hours on the web searching out a cancer prevention diet.

The “diet” that I found is tough to start, but seems to be working and for sure gets easier as time goes on. My husband has lost 15 lbs and I have lost 8 🙂

Here’s the deal: you have 10 servings of fruit a day and 10 servings of veggies a day. You also cut your portion size down, do more boiling and baking and switch to grape seed oil to cook. For instance, today for dinner, we had (all fresh)
    1 peice of pork each (crock pot with carrots, potatos and onion…no oil needed)
    rice mixed with corn
    cuks (1/2 each)
    tomatos (1 each)
    Leafy greens
    necterines (1 each)
    peaches (1 each)
    homade english muffin bread

Breakfast was a strawberry, blueberry, bannana, yougurt smoothie.

Lunch was cuks, tomatos, green beans, corn, boiled potatos. apples, canelope, grapes and mac and cheese

Snacks were red grapes, watermelon, frozen yogurt drops,rasins, cheese and a fruit popscicle.

Also, we ban soda’s and started drinking bubbly water with fruit added or flavored water. We also up’ed our green tea intake.

So, that’s what is working for us. It can be very expensive with all the fresh fruit and veggies, but, there are ways around that.

**Most important comment** You looked REALLY good when I saw you last in May. But, I know what you mean. Just last week some friends and I were hanging out at the pool and I asked them if the “pregancy” tummy ever goes away. They all showed me thier “after the second one” tummy and I was relieved that they all looked like mine……streched!

<> Hope this is a little helpful.

• Stacey B

June 12, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I have used MyFitnessPal.com … when I used it regularly ~ I was more conscience of what I was eating and lost some weight.
    I tried Body by Vi and it was a HUGE failure for me … I lost 5 pounds in 75 days. I’m here to tell you it does not work for everyone!!
    Friends of mine have use SparkPeople with some success.

• Skye

June 12, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I use Livestrong’s MyPlate: http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/
    It’s free and easy to use, and you can track what you eat, what exercise you do, and your weight on the same site. You can friend people and see their journals- I do it with just a few friends so we can motivate each other- but it can also be private if you want. If you have an iPhone, Blackberry, or Windows phone, there is also an app- sadly I have an Android phone and there’s no Android app yet. I’ve never tried Weight Watchers or another program that counts points, but I like counting calories because it makes me think critically about different foods and there’s no way to “cheat” by eating foods that are zero points (but actually have calories).

Whatever you choose, I hope it helps you feel better about your body and yourself as you heal from this experience.

• mare ball

June 12, 2012 at 10:29 am

I read a book called “Thin Within” and it helped me reach my goal weight. It’s covers eating correctly, and it has a spiritual component, which I wanted. Overeating, at its root, has other issues than food. It really put into perspective how God designed our bodies to function, and no “diet” is going to beat God’s design. It talks about honoring our bodies, not abusing them w/ food, etc. It’s the only thing that I’ve been successful with b/c God is a part of it. Regarding our loss, I, too, send prayers and good things to you and your family. I’ve been following your story, and was so sad for you. Only God sees the full picture…there is MUCH suffering of all kinds in this world. But know that you are loved. 🙂

• Kim

June 12, 2012 at 8:17 am

I went old school before and did The Flat Belly Diet. Art lost 15 pounds. But I’ve told you this before. It sounds like everybody on here is much more techy and really in the know. And for the record, you didn’t fail.

• Teresa

June 12, 2012 at 7:51 am

I LOVED P90X. It was so hard to complete every exercise during the first couple weeks, but it got easier and I felt so accomplished after that 45 min+ a day. The weight shed so quickly AND my mood was elevated. However, I have bad joints (have had bad joints since I can remember) and it really took a toll on my knees. If you don’t have arthitis problems, I strongly suggest P90X.

• Carolyn

June 12, 2012 at 1:23 am

Well, I actually liked some of the changes they made to the new WW program (FRUIT IS FREE! They urge moderation, just like they do in all categories, but FRUIT IS ZERO POINTS! I was super stoked about that!) 🙂 Otherwise, there are lots of calorie counting websites that are really simple to use (my sister and husband and I all used livestrong.com for a while, but WW works better for me than strictly counting calories)

• April

June 11, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I love Atkins because it’s easy to follow without counting much of anything. Working out, I use ChaLEAN Extreme because it’s a short total body workout. Most workouts are between 30 and 45 minutes. You don’t have to leave the comforts of your home or get a gym membership. Lost 10 pounds in the first month.

• Ashleigh

June 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I love CalorieKing! It’s sort of like weight watchers, only everything has a detailed summary of not only calories, but nutrional value. It has a huge data base that juist requires you to type in what you ate, and how much. It has awesome graphs to look and see how much weight you have lost, as well as having a “medal” system to congratulate you on yoour success and learning how to eat healthy. Great articles too! You get to also put in exercise as well. I love it so much, I lost 50 lbs. in 7 months!

• Angela

June 11, 2012 at 8:14 pm

ooohhh… this post strikes a chord with me. I’ve been every weight imaginable in the past 10 years from 113 pounds to 200 pounds and back again. (yes, that includes preganancies, but my maximum non-pregnant, pre-baby weight was 175 at 5’3″)

I like Weight Watchers and was really successful in just planning meals with their ‘free’ items in mind – load up on veggies, reduce the pasta. I felt healthier on WW than I had for a long time, and no, I did not write anything down, I just used their idea for meal and snack planning.

Diana – remember it will take a few months for your body to resemble a non-pregancy state (thank goodness for Spanx and the ladies who do bra fittings). My favorite piece of advice: buy yourself a great new jacket and amazing purse, you’ll feel great and no one will be looking at your body.

• Elyssa McDowell

June 11, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I’m doing the Body by Vi Challenge too. I used it to lose my baby weight after baby one and now I’m pregnant again and I’m still having a shake a day for the nutrition. I love it because it’s easy. It takes 30 seconds to make a shake and i don’t have to think about what I’m going to eat. I also love it because it is a lifestyle change not a diet. You take two shakes a day to reach your goal and then continue to take one a day to maintain your weight and get great nutriton. Def worth checking out! I have a lot of friends that have had great success with it too, losing weight and keeping it off!

• Rachel

June 11, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Hi there! I’ve been reading your blog since @babyrabies mentioned your sweet twin boys.

You have been in my prayers.

I wanted to “weigh in” on this issue by providing one of my favorite recommendations, Body Confidence by Mark Macdonald. It is a great read that outlines eating plans based on balanced and fresh food eating. It is a bit of a mental shift…eating balanced 250 calorie + meals every 3-4 hours. It keeps your blood sugar stable and let’s your body burn instead of store. I highly recommend it. There are jump start menus and then lifestyle tips so you can maintain a healthy diet and healthy weight. It is about getting off the yo-yo rollercoaster of dieting. I found it interesting and refreshing and effective. Check it out!

Many blessings,
    Rachel (and baby girl on the way)

• Callie

June 11, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I also used the “old ” weight watchers program about 4 years ago and loved it. Lost 40lbs. Eventually, got a little too sure of myself (lol), and slowly the weight (well, most of it) came back. I was very resistant to the new program at first…everything was….DIFFERENT! But….after, (unsuccesfully), trying to do the old program on my own, I finally signed up for the online program. 7 lbs are gone already in my first 5 weeks, and am kissing those inches goodbye as I firm up working out again. It may be worth a go. You can put the apps on your smart phone, and have cheat sheets, calculator, and tracking with you at all times. Best Wishes!

• Alissa

June 11, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Weight watchers has a website and an app..my moms had a lot of success with that program.

• Karli

June 11, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Hey cute girl. So sorry about what you’re dealing with. Prayers for peace in your heart & family’s life. I’ve been feeling so heavy hearted for you.
    I too had always struggeled with my weight til I tried a program that helped me lose 40 pounds in 3 months. I’ve kept it off for 2 years now and I help coach others to do the same. I’m helping over 40 clients lose weight right now and would love to help you if our program was the right fit.

My site is http://healthconfessions.com {there are before & after pics on the site, too}, and you can also find me on Facebook {health confessions}.

My biggest tips are: plan & prepare, keep yourself accountable, write everything down, and be consistent. You’ll get there!

You can do it! Whatever you decide to do, keep us posted & good luck!

• Lily

June 11, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I lost 12kgs (26lb) earlier this year eating low gi food. I have kept that off for 3 months now and am ready to continue my journey and lose the next 13kgs. I started at 105kg (231lb), am currently 93kg (205lb and my next goal is 80kg (176lb).

All I did was google Low Gi and do lots of research. I was never one to eat breakfast and mainly ate well after lunch. I now eat breakfast and try for at least 4 small low Gi meals a day. I do not crave snacks, though I do allow them occasionally if I do want them, but a small amount will satisfy me these days.

I can eat normal food and don’t have to count calories (which I HATE lol)

I have been following your journey for only a couple of months now and you are very inspiring… and very ‘real’ to read.

Thankyou

• angela

June 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I like My Fitness Pal, too. It’s really just calorie tracking, but their database is HUGE, including brand names for products. It helps me stay accountable for all of the “snacking” I tend to do, like grabbing a few goldfish or the last animal cracker hanging out on one of the kids’ plates.

• Ashleigh Smith

June 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Hi Diana! I have been following your blog for a little while now and just wanted to let you know I’ve prayed for you every time I read and when I think of you through the day. Like you said, dealing with our bodies as mommies is hard enough — I can only imagine how hard it must be with no babies in your arms. I will continue to pray for peace in all areas!!!

You’ve gotten lots of really good ideas about programs here. I personally use My Fitness Pal and think it’s great! 🙂

I also, though, wanted to tell you about the amazing IT Works! body wraps. I will tell you, I was a HUGE skeptic, but decided on a whim to try one and lost 5 INCHES off my belly. I honestly was shocked. I am 6 months postpartum and like you, just was not comfy in my own skin. My shirts are fitting better and I feel amazing!! I started selling them because I want other women to feel as awesome as I do from using the wraps and other great supplements we have. I think a wrap (or series of wraps) would help you to feel more comfortable in your skin while you’re working on losing weight. The results last 2-6 months. 🙂 Please let me know if you’d like more information!! (or anyone else reading this)! I would love to help you feel great about yourself again!!

Ashleighbsmith at gmail dot com
    My website: ashleighsmith.myitworks.com

• Tonya

June 11, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Check out robbwolf.com and everydaypaleo.com. For an online program, go to eplifefit.com

This is not a diet that will make you lose the 20 pounds and then go back to doing whatever you want. Instead it’s an entire focus shift that brings better health to the whole family. It’s amazing stuff.

1. Kiki

June 12, 2012 at 7:14 am

I wholeheartedly recommend the Paleo lifestyle. It has brought me to a place of restored health. In fact, I have never been healthier. I am 44, 5’5″, 112lbs, and ALL my labwork is stellar! When I was vegan/vegetarian, I carried an extra 20 lbs on me. I ate all the “right” foods (according to conventional wisdom), and exercised every day! Now, I only do an actual workout twice a week and lift weights twice a week. That’s it! If you nourish your body properly, then you can lose weight/tone up without overdoing the exercise. Which, btw, can cause inflammation if you do too much (research it).

• Cortney

June 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I know how you feel – my weight has gone up and down since high school for years, too. I was always a workout queen and ate pretty healthy but still struggled with my weight. That being said, for about a year before I got pregnant I started cutting out as many processed foods from my diet as possible. I lost probably 15-20 lbs in that year without even really trying to. I also tried to cut back on (not cut out) carb-rich foods. Right now I’m 25 weeks pregnant and (as of last week) I use the Body by Vi shakes to supplement my diet because I know that I don’t get enough protein every day, but I’m planning on sticking to my same non-processed food “diet” and also doing a Body by Vi challenge (http://visalusdistribution.com) after I have the baby to lose the weight (and I told my hubby that I’m ordering a Belly Bandit because those are supposed to help, too!). Good luck!

• Christine

June 11, 2012 at 12:28 pm

My Fitness Pal is very helpful. It also has a smart phone app that makes it really handy to track you food and exercise when you’re away from a computer.

• Abbey

June 11, 2012 at 11:48 am

Hi Diana,

So I’ve been about 15 lbs. overweight since giving birth…almost 3 years ago! Gah! I’ve done WeightWatchers and have had great success, but I find it’s time consuming and difficult to stick with. Last Monday I started a no flour, no sugar diet. It’s that simple, no flour, no sugar. It’s not no carbs. I still eat potatoes and rice. I’ve lost over 2 lbs so far and I don’t find it hard to do at all. I just know that I can’t eat anything with flour or sugar in the ingredients. I’m really pleased with my success so far and there’s no calorie counting, point tracking, etc. Dr. Gott put out a book about it, but I’ve never read it. They still encourage that what you do eat without those two ingredients be healthy and to limit the amount of rice, potatoes, and other things you eat.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me 🙂

• Lindsay

June 11, 2012 at 11:46 am

So, I was raised by a dietician and a cardiologist. I have always thought I knew what ‘eating healthy’ meant. I have also always been an athlete and a runner. I rode horses up until I was 7 months preggo. BUT just recently have learned that the reason all these diets and things don’t usually work is because we are eating entirely too much processed food! I am SO guilty of this and I have always been considered a ‘healthy eater’ by most people who know me. As Americans, we consume WAY too much meat (I am not a vegetarian – I could eat a cheeseburger for every meal!) so now I have become a weekday vegetarian. I only eat meat on the weekends, if I can help it. I have switched to organic produce and whole, real foods. Nothing out of it’s original form.

You might want to watch ‘Food, Inc.’, ‘Food Matters’, ‘Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead’, and ‘Forks over Knives” before making a “diet” decision. There are many others but those were the ones that revealed to me how most of what we eat in America, our body doesn’t really know how to process. I make a lot of fruit and/or veggie smoothies cause they are fast and easy with a little one around. I also downloaded a couple veggie cookbooks to my Kindle for dinnnertime. I have always been skeptical of eating mostly plants in your diet but I’m telling you, it totally works! I have already started to get my pre-pregnancy body back and my baby girl is only 3 months. I’m lightly exercising but mostly just staying away from anything processed, anything with preservatives in it, anything with too much vegetable oil and artificial ingredients. There’s also a blog I follow – ‘100 Days of Real Food’ that’s a good one and motivating 🙂

Good luck!!! I enjoy your writing and am a fellow military spouse! Oorah!

1. Kiki

June 12, 2012 at 7:02 am

Hi! I think it’s important to educate ourselves about the food we eat. I tried to be a vegan, then a vegetarian and I could NOT maintain my health. It turns out I have celiac disease. I also have many other food sensivities. Tomatoes are one of the worst foods for those with autoimmune disorders. When you write that we eat way to much meat, you really need to specify what KIND of meat. When we eat meat from animals that have been treated and fed the way God intended, they are the healthiest food out there. Please, I encourage you to do research on this as we all need to educate ourselves, instead of reading/watching movies etc. of other people’s ideas, theories etc.

1. lindsay

June 22, 2012 at 12:47 am

Regardless of what kind of meat you’d like to specify, modern man definitely eats more meat than ancient man or what our bodies were originally designed to eat. I don’t know much about celiac disease however, I am a huge believer in what Hippocrates said…”let food be thy medicine”. I also have a degree in animal science so I’m well aware of what a mess our commercial food animal production industry is. Although I did suggest some of my favorite documentaries as a resource, that is most certainly not my sole resource for these specific comments and suggestions. During pregnancy, I did massive diet research and am currently making a lot of what we eat from scratch so I am continually educating myself on health. Like I said, the most important thing is to stay away from processed foods, pesticides and artificial ingredients. That is the majority of our problem here in the US.

• Hillary

June 11, 2012 at 10:36 am

My husband has lost 55 lbs with sparkpeople.com since January, and he swears by it. He is in the maintenance phase now and has never been hungry or had to do anything radical. There’s a smartphone app and it’s all free…

Good luck!

• Chantal

June 11, 2012 at 10:35 am

The Richard Simmons FoodMover really helped us!

• christa

June 11, 2012 at 10:11 am

Weight Watchers, you can do it online, on your phone, eat real food, be accountable

• Kelli

June 11, 2012 at 9:38 am

I’m on the my fitness pal band wagon. I like that my hubby and my friends and I can encourage each other and I like the message boards. i’ve had success on ww in the past and would probably try again, but money is an issue and mfp is free. Really anything I do would work, it’s just a matter of me sticking with it and staying accountable. So you’re doing a great thing for adding for support from a great community!:)

• Kelly

June 11, 2012 at 9:30 am

First, I am so very sorry for your loss. I cannot begin to imagine how betrayed you must feel by your own body. Having to struggle with your weight is just salt in the wounds. My heart breaks for you and what your family is going through.

I’ve had an enormous amount of success with Medifast and would recommend it to anyone. Weight Watchers is an amazing program but I find it to be incredibly overwhelming. And with all you have on your mind, a pre-planned program may be beneficial to you. If you choose to calorie count instead, My Fitness Pal is a must have app.

Additionally, if you are physically able, I would highly recommend starting a running program. It’s as beneficial to your body as it is to your soul.

Best of luck to you!

• Lisa

June 11, 2012 at 9:20 am

I know what you mean about loosing babies and still having the belly. I tried every thing. Currently ( successfully) I am using Visalus shakes two meals per day and a sensible meal. I am also using my fitness pal. Com. It is a great application. Lots of foods already in it . You can also track your weight and exercise.

• Misty Pratt

June 11, 2012 at 9:05 am

As someone who used to work for an eating disorder support centre (and who suffered from an eating disorder), I have a hard time with “programs.” I know that they work for a very small number of people, and the rest just end up gaining all the weight back (plus more). This is probably not the comment you want to read, but I truly believe that it takes a number of different things to become comfortable in our bodies – emotional, spiritual and physical work. It’s taken me years, and I’m still not totally there. I feel strongly that something is seriously wrong with our society’s beliefs/attitudes towards food and our bodies.

Anyway, you can just ignore me and choose something that is easy for you to follow, but I had to get my 2 cents in 🙂

• Heather

June 11, 2012 at 8:47 am

I am a carbohydrate ADDICT..soooooo, I eat Low carb and love it. I feel like a new women 🙂 GL sweetir with whatever you choose. They all work as long as you stick to it!!

• Elisabeth

June 11, 2012 at 8:45 am

I use MyFitnessPal as well, and I’ve lost about 20 pounds combining healthy eating (about 1500 calories a day) and exercise 5 days a week. Taking that hour for myself every day to get in a good workout was hard at first, I felt really guilty, but I know in the end it is better for me, my family, and any future kiddos I might have!

• Kate Hoover

June 11, 2012 at 8:39 am

The Lose It app is a good one but my friend Sherry Carr Smith is blogging about her weight loss and has guest posts on Fridays. Check out http://www.paperscissorskeyboard.com to see what she and her friends are up to!

Good luck ~ your babies are proud of you! 🙂

• Cindy

June 11, 2012 at 8:39 am

I have been using WW online for a few months and it has been great. I had twins last April so they are now 14 months. I gained 65 pounds with my pregnancy a lot of fluid. So after the babies and water had come off I was about 30 pounds to go. I actually was able to get back to prepreg weight pretty easily but after i stopped BF it started to go back up a bit and after any pregnancy things just sit differently than before. This is when I started WW online. I have been able to get 20 pounds under my prepreg weight which I have not seen since my Freshman year in college. I follow it pretty well but I just use common sense on portions and such I don’t go for exacts but guesstimate and it has worked well. The new point system is easy to get used to and in some ways easier since fruits and veggies are 0 so you don’t have to count those! Good luck in this journey. I have felt it fits in my crazy lifestyle.

• Madonna

June 11, 2012 at 8:39 am

I’ve successfully used WW and My Fitness Pal to lose weight. I found for motivation, MFP was better because I could see what my friends were doing and we would encourage each other. A more “personal” effect I guess where I knew the people who were seeing my stats and sending me encouragement. I know I did the same for them.

• Therese

June 11, 2012 at 8:35 am

I love weight watchers! It is a lot easier than expected. Do you have a kitchen scale? That makes it super easy to measure! I don’t dirty up a bunch of measuring cups & spoons. Since my daughter was born, I’ve lost all my pregnancy weight plus an additional 30 pounds.

• Beth

June 11, 2012 at 8:15 am

I used myfitnesspal for some time and loved it. I use dailymile to track my workouts, but it doesn’t look at the food portion of it.

• Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife

June 11, 2012 at 8:09 am

I’ve been struggling to find a program that works for me since the beginning of the year. I tried P90X but just couldn’t get into it. I think I’m just not a “program” type of person. I finally just started doing a routine of crunches, push ups, some yoga moves, and jogging with the baby twice a week. I do the toning routine in my home office on the days I’m working from home and I fit in the jog whenever I can during the week. My goal is to pass the Army PT test for a woman of my age.

I’ve been doing it for about two months now and I honestly love it and feel great. It’s also nice because I can get my husband involved in helping me adjust my routine since he has to do the same workout to keep up with his requirements for the Army.

I try to be mindful of what I’m eating but I’m terrible at calorie counting. I don’t eat terribly but my portions are out of control. I’ve been attempting to moderate my portions.

• Jamie

June 11, 2012 at 8:09 am

I do My Fitness Pal as well and love it. It’s not only a good tracker, but you can find others to help motivate you, keep you accountable, etc. I track my calories and exercise on there, but I also work out 6 days/week to keep my body moving.

• Tracy @ Liberating Working Moms

June 11, 2012 at 8:07 am

this weekend I decided to do a metabolism reset…eat more…healthy foods of course! And then I will go with the eat more to weigh less method….b/c my metabolism will be reset and I can lose weight eating more calories than I’ve currently been eating. I’ve read lots of success stories and I’m just plain tired of starving my body only to screw up my metabolism, and then gain it all back and then some. We’ll have to chat…and I’ll tell you more about it 🙂

1. Tracy @ Liberating Working Moms

June 11, 2012 at 8:08 am

Also…I’m using MyfitnessPal and they have great discussion boards to help you get started…and can track all of my foods with them.

1. Misty @ The Family Math

June 11, 2012 at 11:37 am

Same as Tracy! It’s a really different mindset from many weight loss programs, but the focus is on long-term sustainability rather than quick results.

• Alyssa

June 11, 2012 at 7:45 am

I don’t use a program, but rather have a calorie goal and track online. I use the Daily Plate on Livestrong.com. It helped me lose 60 lbs. You put in how much you want to lose a week, 1 or 2 lbs, and it tells you how much to eat. You can add exercise to get more calories each day. It has every food imaginable and the calories. I find it easy to use and there are no gimmics. The best part, it’s free!!!!

• Nikki

June 11, 2012 at 7:45 am

I do love MyFitnessPal because it’s so easy and stores foods that you eat often, which is convenient.

If you’re talking about an actual “diet” program (like WW, 17-day diet, etc), I’d recommend Dr. Ian Smith’s Fat Smash. The premise is to start with Phase 1, in which you eat fruits, veggies, and a handful of other foods and build back in more foods with each phase. I love Phase 1 which is all about fruits, vegetables, yogurt and a couple of other key foods – I start it over all the time. It’s easy to know you’re eating well and a good program that you don’t feel pressured to count out every.single.thing. It takes some getting used to at first, but it’s one of my favorites.

Good luck with whatever program you choose!

• Carrie

June 11, 2012 at 7:42 am

I use myfitness pal online as well. Amazing. Free. User friendly and easier than WW online. Oh, did I mention, FREE?

• Andrea

June 11, 2012 at 7:29 am

I second the MyFitnessPal recommendation. It’s super easy and the database has almost anything you can think of, and if you download the app on your phone it can scan the barcode on some foods making it even easier. Good luck on your journey, prayers sent your way.

• Kate

June 11, 2012 at 7:11 am

I am a stay at home Mom, and I do Weight Watchers – this is my 2nd time doing it. I actually think the program is way easier now! Most fruits and veggies are zero points now, which makes grabbing a snack so easy! I make most of our meals, so I am finding it a snap – plus you can record everything online, or with your phone. I have lost 27 pounds – I am .8 from my goal. I WILL make Lifetime this time, woot! Whatever program you choose – you aren’t alone.

• Lauren

June 11, 2012 at 7:10 am

Sparkpeople.com !!! I can’t say enough about this website/program. It’s not about fads or deprivation, but realistic, effective weight loss using combined diet and exercise. It has highly motivating articles and super informative research based information about effective diet and exercise. And it’s tailored to you specifically, whether you have an idea about what you want to do in terms of exercise/meals, or whether you need suggestions or guidance. I lost 16lbs on it. It has been, by far, the best weight loss website I’ve seen, not only because of how it is setup, but also because it so heavily emphasizes entire LIFESTYLE change, not just temporary fixes. Also? They have an app, which makes it doable even on the go!

Good luck with whatever you choose!

1. Leah Marie

June 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Just want to add an amen to this. I love sparkpeople. It is the best thing that ever happened to me. And my husband. It is easy to use and so effective.

I have, however, heard similar things about myfitnesspal, which a lot of people have mentioned here. I think it’s half a dozen one, six the other. But I can vouch for sparkpeople.

1. Tweepwife

June 11, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Yup Spark People!!!

• Angie

June 11, 2012 at 7:07 am

I just started weight watchers last week. Haven’t done it before, but I’ve tried myfitnesspal and loseit, sparkpeople, all kinds of calorie counting apps. It always comes down to measuring unfortunately. But I’m looking forward to the flexibility that weight watchers has, and he tools are really cool- especially the app. I would like to find more of a community online for weight watchers but that might just still be a learning thing for me. Good luck!!

• Patricia

June 11, 2012 at 6:48 am

I’ve just started the new Weight Watchers online program which i’m finding a lot easier than i expected, mostly because of their App for smartphones. No matter where i am the points calculator is only a click away and i instantly know if the choice i am about to make is a good one, or not ( common…5 points for a cold starbucks drink! ) Yikes!

Good Luck Diana! 🙂

• Katie McAleece

June 11, 2012 at 6:46 am

I use MyFitnessPal on my phone and online… I’m not sure if it technically would be considered a program. I think it’s more of just an app, really. If that counts.

It’s been helpful because you just enter the foods you’ve eaten and count calories- is that what you’re looking for?

Counting calories has been the easiest, best way I’ve ever found to lose weight. Because you set a goal and basically guilt trip yourself into staying under it. Haha