BlogHer12 – It Was Pretty Darn Amazing. Part 1

August 6, 2012

When a lot of things happen in life at one time to me, I tend to shut down with my writing until I can sort it all out or process what I want to talk about.

SO MUCH happened at BlogHer in NYC that I’m really stumped on where to even begin and how many posts to write to get in the things that happened. Without being boring or talking on things I won’t really care about in a year when I read this again.

I’m going to give it my best shot but probably break this into two parts. First, my roommate was Rebecca from Daily Rebecca (she has a cute new site thanks to One Starry Night). We had the most incredible time. I mean, I rarely ever tell you all that someone and I are like two peas in a pod, but we totally were. From the moment I stepped foot in that room, we just connected. I’d known her since a little before last BlogHer, we’ve Skyped and texted in the past few months, but the 4 days we spent together were pretty awesome.

BlogHer  NY

Top left clockwise: Rebecca and me, Jill from Baby Rabies opening Blographer, Babble party, our room.

The first day was Thursday (I got there late Wednesday) and I went to the Blographer Event (blogging photographers). That was really interesting, some great speakers, lots of giveaways, cool swag. It was a full day event. After that, I met up with Rebecca and we headed to the Green Bloggers party at an awesome restaurant then off to the Babble party where I finally got to meet my boss, step on the toes of a very famous blogger (and wanted to die), and see a few of my other fellow bloggers.

Then we headed to the famous Carnegie Deli just a block over. OH MY GOODNESS PEOPLE. When we first saw it both of us were like, “Famous because it’s a hole in the wall or…?” And then? And then the food came. It was so incredible that you just wanted to eat until you exploded.

Carnegie Deli NYC

We gave that our best shot. A huge plate of corned beef with cabbage on rye bread with melted cheese, the best onion rings I’ve ever had in my life, and because we had to – their famous cheesecake that was so huge the both of us couldn’t finish it.

The next day we headed to the breakfast and sessions, met up with some amazing ladies (and men!) I have so wanted to see.

BlogHer friends

Top left clockwise: John from Daddy Runs A Lot and his wife Duffy from Sure D, It’s All Good, Jennifer from Also Known As…The Wife, Alex from Alexandra Wrote, and Anne-Marie from Do Not Faint. I was thrilled to meet all of them, some people got pics of us on their phones and I forgot so there are more floating around with my head in them…

For lunch Friday we heard Martha Stewart speak. She’s amazing to me because she doesn’t (and won’t) apologize for her or her company’s success. Such a breath of fresh air to hear a woman say, “I do a great job, my company is pretty amazing, and we all work hard.”

That afternoon, on the 3 month anniversary of the boys life and death – I got their footprints, actual size and shape, tattooed by Adorned in SoHo.

You know how you hear people say getting a tattoo can be a healing process? I always kinda thought that was a little – crazy. But it is. The pain, the process, telling the story to my artist, having Rebecca there with me – it was a huge step in my heart healing. I started to get asked about them right away and got to share their story.

Friday night we babysat for Alena and Miranda’s little one’s who are seriously the cutest babies on the planet. Rebecca and I got to talk about how those days with our own girls seemed so long ago. Then, completely exhausted from the day, we headed to bed. And ended up talking till 1am.

To be continued…

A HUGE thanks to Military Family for helping to send me to BlogHer’12.

• Glimpses {Link Up} Week 2

September 15, 2013 at 9:33 am

[…] heading out to the Influence Conference next week. Last year I had the boy’s footprints tattooed on my wrists. And this year I’ll get one for Kaden – an elephant of some type […]

• Jayme

August 14, 2012 at 2:03 pm

OH I love the tats! My husband has our babies footprints and handprints on his leg with angel wings as a memorial.

I think I saw you at the Stonyfield thing and wanted to introduce myself but I was in a convo with someone and by the time we were done I couldn’t find you!

I also was pretty sure you wouldn’t know me LOL but I found your blog through a friend and just wanted to tell you in person that you are always in my thoughts, and I think of you and Preston & Julian all the time.

• Hormonal Imbalances™ » BlogHer12 – Part 2

August 14, 2012 at 7:00 am

[…] in the last post I left off on Friday night at BlogHer. But what I completely forgot was Wednesday evening. I have no idea how this happened. […]

• Good Girl Gone Green

August 9, 2012 at 8:19 am

I am bummed we didn’t get a picture. I could have sworn we took one at Stonyfield. It’s not on my phone. Did you get one? Love all your pictures and meeting you IRL was one of my highlights of the conference. I can’t wait until we see each other again and can find more time to chat and hangout! 🙂

• Kelley

August 7, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Oh wow! Everything looks amazing! Im glad yall had such a great time! I cant wait to read more! Ps.. LOVE your tattoos.. so sweet!

• Amanda O.

August 7, 2012 at 10:05 am

Hi Diana! I read your adoption post (home visit) on Babble today and was so intrigued by your story that I had to come and read more on your blog. After reading all up and down your pages, I have come to the conclusion that you are one cool chick. You seem to persevere better than most and I totally admire that. Good luck with your home visit and I wish you much happiness!

• Skye

August 7, 2012 at 8:20 am

I’m glad it was a great experience for you. And I absolutely LOVE your tattoos! What a beautiful tribute, and how wonderful that they are helping you talk about your boys and heal. Did you plan on getting them in NYC or decide once you got there?

• Rebecca

August 6, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I’m still reeling from how awesome the whole weekend was! Hanging out with you was definitely the highlight; thanks so much for sharing your heart and your BlogHer experience with me 🙂

• Morgan

August 6, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Sounds like you had an a-mazing time! I can’t wait to read the rest! I sooo wish I could have been there. Definitely hoping for next year!

• Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife

August 6, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I felt like we were just meeting up again and not meeting for the first time. You are such a lovely person and I’m so glad I found you through internet fate.

I really hope our paths cross many more times.

• Tayarra

August 6, 2012 at 6:34 pm

When I saw your tattoos on instantaneous they took my breath away. I’m so glad you had this experience.

• Anne-Marie

August 6, 2012 at 5:14 pm

My first thought after meeting you in person: I knew she would give really good hugs! And you do.

• Jessica

August 6, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Bummed I didn’t get a chance to meet you, but awesome reading about your BlogHer experience. Can’t wait for the rest.