Meet Our Newest Addition

August 28, 2012

——–

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is Charlie. The one you’ve been seeing pictures of. Also – yes I realize my beloved Pioneer Woman also has a dog named Charlie but I didn’t (consciously) realize that till right this minute.

Great minds… :p

Isn’t he adorable? Here is his story:

Bella and I were at the farmer’s market Saturday and stumbled on the Humane Society finding homes for two German Shepard puppies. All of the sudden, I realized how very much I wanted a dog. As did Bella. I called Sam right then and there but he talked me down off the ledge. Then he said, “Come home and let’s really talk this over.”

So we did. About everything, and researched, and thought about how Bella would be with one. We decided we wanted a smaller puppy, one that could grow up with Bella and be trained by us. All Saturday afternoon we drive around looking at shelters and the various animal adoptions going on. We found several dogs we liked, but they were all too old, too sick, or too big.

Heading home, we promised Bella we’d keep looking.

That night I got on Craigslist just to browse, and stumbled on a pic of the cutest dog ever. Described as a “sweet little boy, 3 months old, very playful” I hesitated (Craigslist crazies) and then showed him to Sam. Who took one look and said, “Email them.”

Back and forth we went on emails; they were moving, had a new baby, needed to find him a new home asap. We met them that night and adopted the puppy. The couple gave us bedding, a teddy bear he loved, and little toys, He had been very well taken care of but the mom said she had enough going on with a newborn.

We brought him home, and the next day got up early to play with him.

He’s Sam’s buddy – follows him all over and loves to attack his feet. Charlie is a “Cheagle” – half Chihuahua and half Beagle. He has a bark that is the combo of the two. It’s insanely cute. His face and ears are more Beagle, body more Chihuahua. He is a hunter though, his tail goes straight up and he bolts at the sign of a bird.

Bella adores him. She can’t understand yet why he doesn’t have the same level of obsession with her, but we’re getting there. She loves to play with him and is learning the meaning of “gentle honey” all over again. She wakes up in the morning early now just to love on him.

Also? They wear each other out. Double afternoon naps for them both. The cats? They hate him. HATE HIM. We have 3 cats and each one hates him more than the next.Β We’re just giving them lots of space and not pushing anything.Β They tend to sit in the corner sulking until Charlie gets close, then poof up and hiss. Or scream and run away, crashing into things trying to escape his wagging tail and happy face.

No. I do not laugh when this happens. That would be awful.

::snickers::

Charlie’s a nipper. That makes Bella upset – because she doesn’t understand that’s his way of playing. We explain that he is just excited, and she is trying to understand. We also have him enrolled in puppy classes starting tomorrow evening for 6 weeks. Sit, stay, how to walk on a leash, minimize barking, potty training, they take care of it all. Hopefully they get him to stop jumping and licking/nipping faces. Nothing worse than having someone’s dog shove their tongue down your throat while biting your chin whenΒ you visit. O_o

He’s such a joy to have. Extra work? Yep. But then, I thought this month and next would be kinda crazy anyway with two babies. It’s nice to have a little buddy during the day that wants to snuggle and play. It’s even better that Bella has a companion.

It certainly doesn’t hurt that he is totally adorable.

———-
Did you know that in the military, there are these little know benefits

• Glimpses {Link Up} Week 2

September 15, 2013 at 9:34 am

[…] has been with us a full year as of last month. This particular morning he calmly chewed on his bone and watched Bella as she […]

• Hormonal Imbalancesβ„’ » Whew.

September 7, 2012 at 11:16 am

[…] I have had a BUSY week. Fun, but busy. Let me tell you – the thought of getting a puppy so Bella had a […]

• Lisa

September 7, 2012 at 11:13 am

Okay, I’m a total cat person but even I gotta admit, he’s CUTE!! I literally LOL when I read this: ” e cats? They hate him. HATE HIM. We have 3 cats and each one hates him more than the next”. Hopefully they’ll adjust soon. I also crack up when my cats run away so fast they crash into things πŸ™‚

• Tracy @Liberating Working Moms

August 31, 2012 at 11:34 pm

So at first, I saw this post on my phone b/c I hardly ever have time to get on the computer. So now, on the computer…your photos are amazing!!!!!!!!!! And I’m dying over the one with Bella crouching down acting like Charlie. Dead of the cuteness really.

• Stacy

August 30, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I love him! I’ve been wanting to get another puppy, I might just have to look into these cheagles. We have a mini pin/chihuahua mix now and she needs a smaller companion.

• Mae

August 29, 2012 at 8:37 am

I love that you now have three cats and a dog. Because that means I am no longer the only clinically insane mother on the planet.

• Jenny

August 29, 2012 at 8:28 am

So stinkin’ cute! I think having a dog in the family is great and it looks like Bella and Charlie will get along wonderfully! Our two labs can be high maintenance and annoying and a pain in the a$$ sometimes, but the relationship between them and Gavin is priceless. I’m glad he gets to grow up with them, although they are older already. Bella’s lucky she got such a cute playful companion! They’ll be best buds for sure… good luck with the cat/dog situation πŸ˜‰

• Noelle

August 28, 2012 at 7:49 pm

He’s adorable πŸ™‚

• Imperfectmomma

August 28, 2012 at 7:49 pm

What a cutie

• Katie

August 28, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Charlie. Such a nice name πŸ˜‰

• Veronica Armstrong

August 28, 2012 at 6:37 pm

What a sweetie! Congrats. Enjoy him πŸ™‚

• Cynthia Meents

August 28, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Oh, that big ol’ tear is breaking my heart! Adorable puppy though, and they’ll be so happy growing up together.

• Tracy @ The UnCoordinated Mommy

August 28, 2012 at 4:57 pm

He is so stinking’ cute!! I love the name Charlie too!!!

• Susannah

August 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm

He is absolutely precious!!

• Elisa

August 28, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Oh my. So cute! As for the nipping? It’s referred to as bite inhibition, and is usually taught to puppies by their siblings or mamma. Next time you play with him, make a quick, sharp squeal or yelp when he nips you and immediately get up and move away. His playmates would do the same thing, and it teaches him that nips *hurt*. You’ll probably learn more of this in your puppy classes, but it’s important to start now! πŸ™‚ Have fun, he’s adorable!

1. Diane @ DixieJulep

August 29, 2012 at 8:13 am

Elisa’s advice about bite inhibition is spot on. I was going to suggest the same. Puppy class should also help a lot.

Congratulations on your new addition and thanks for rescuing! These photos made me smile SO big today!

• Gretchen

August 28, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Love the name! And he is so stinking cute! What a great snuggle buddy!

• Kate

August 28, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I have a dog named Bella and a son named Charlie. That’s funny! πŸ™‚

• souphead

August 28, 2012 at 11:41 am

he’s gorgeous! congratulations on your new addition. he totally looks like a charlie and so happy he and bella get to grow up together. he was meant to be yours.
    give the kitties a little extra attention when you can for a while. just so they don’t start peeing in your shoes πŸ˜‰

• Ashley

August 28, 2012 at 11:38 am

He is soooo cute!!!! We adopted a poodle mix a couple of months ago and he is the sweetest thing. He was 3 months old when we got him so he was semi out of the nipping and tearing everything up stage. He still has his moments though. My girls love him and love even more to treat him as their baby. Nothing cuter than a little black dog riding around in a stroller and/or shopping cart with a 4 year old pushing along!

Enjoy him!

• Mary Kay

August 28, 2012 at 11:38 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE Charlie!! Good Luck!

• Carrie

August 28, 2012 at 11:15 am

He looks very naughty…but in a very good way! I’ve been admiring him on Instagram, I’m happy to learn his name! πŸ™‚

• Stephanie R

August 28, 2012 at 9:51 am

Oh goodness hes adorable. Congrats on the new addition.

• Katie

August 28, 2012 at 9:35 am

Just so adorable and I love the name Charlie for a dog

• Chantal

August 28, 2012 at 9:05 am

Super cute!

• Kendra

August 28, 2012 at 8:08 am

Totally adorable is right!!! Welcome to your new home, Charlie! πŸ™‚ We have three cats and a dog too. I’m glad to know there are others out there like us. πŸ˜‰ Have fun!

• Kami

August 28, 2012 at 8:07 am

Awwww! Love him! And what a great name! I have always had a dog, and I cannot imagine not having one! They are great family members πŸ™‚ Enjoy him!!

• Sarah [NurseLovesFarmer.com]

August 28, 2012 at 7:43 am

Lovely pictures! Congrats on the new addition!

• Jess

August 28, 2012 at 7:40 am

Those pictures are soooo precious! What a cutie!

• Andrea

August 28, 2012 at 7:22 am

I have three beagles and my parents have a chihuahua – you are going to LOVE this dog! Plus, he’s so cute! And thanks for adopting a dog that needed a home and not buying from a breeder!

• Tottums

August 28, 2012 at 7:15 am

Love him, and love his name! I’ve had several ‘Charlies’ growing up … it’s a good name. Congrats on your sweet addition!

• Patricia lopez

August 28, 2012 at 7:04 am

The name is perfect for him πŸ˜‰ ..I Love small breeds my parents kept my two chihuahuas when I moved we now have a bigger dog
    Love him too just can’t tote him around like the small ones.you capture some awesome pictures can’t wait to see more πŸ˜‰

• Skye

August 28, 2012 at 7:03 am

Congrats! What a great addition to your family! I love that you guys looked for a rescue and got a pup who needed you from a good family. πŸ™‚

• Dee @ Start Dreaming

August 28, 2012 at 6:40 am

He is sooooo cute! I hope you can get his little quirks worked out soon too. We just adopted our little crazy pup (2 year old pup) from SPCA and have major issues of licking, a bit more potty training and submitting to be rid of. Getting better but we have to watch things.

Was really bad this morning though with all my sick kiddos and me only half alive right now. Sigh..

Take care of all your cuties!
    Dee

• Kelli

August 28, 2012 at 6:36 am

He is DARLING. And Charlie suits him well. Congrats πŸ™‚

• Caitlin MidAtlantic

August 28, 2012 at 6:34 am

*head explosion of cuteness!* What a sweetheart!!

• Tonaka

August 28, 2012 at 6:14 am

He is so adorable!

We also found our latest addition to the family about two years ago on Craigslist. We weren’t really looking for a dog but as soon as we saw his picture we had to have him. Since then we have felt to lucky to have found him and can’t imagine not having him around.